Police officers escort a man (face covered), accused of raping a photo journalist, at a court in Mumbai August 24, 2013 - Photo by AFP
Indian photojournalists hold placards and cameras as they take part in a protest rally after a female photographer was gang-raped overnight in Mumbai on August 23, 2013 - Photo by AFP
Policemen work near a police cordon of the crime scene in the Shakti Mills area - Photo by AFP
A policeman walks through overgrown grass on the Shakti Mills premises. - Photo by AFP
Mumbai city Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh (C) speaks during a news conference in Mumbai on August 23, 2013. - Photo by AFP
A combination photograph of police sketches released by Mumbai police show suspects in the rape - Photo by AFP
MUMBAI: Mumbai police Sunday arrested the fifth and final member of a gang suspected of raping a photographer, a crime that reignited anger about women's safety in India following a similar attack last year.
A Mumbai police team arrested the suspect in the capital New Delhi over the brutal attack on the woman as she was taking photographs in India's financial hub with a male colleague, a police official said.
“Our crime branch team arrested the fifth suspect from New Delhi earlier Sunday and he is being brought back to Mumbai,” the official, who did not want to be named, told AFP. The officer declined to give details of the arrest.
The men allegedly trapped and raped the woman, said to be in her early 20s, on Thursday evening in an upmarket district of central Mumbai, where she was on assignment for a magazine, police have said.
The attack rekindled memories of the fatal gang-rape of a 23-year-old student in New Delhi in December. That crime sparked nationwide protests and brought to the surface seething anger about violence against women in India.
A fourth suspect in the latest case, identified by the Press Trust of India as Kasim Bangali, was arrested earlier Sunday in Mumbai, police said.
Mumbai police made the first arrest on Friday and arrested another two on Saturday, said city police spokesman Satyanarayan Choudhary.
Two of the suspects, their faces covered by black cloth, were remanded in custody until August 30 after appearing in a Mumbai court on Sunday.
On Saturday one of the suspects was also remanded in custody. His grandmother told media he was only 16 and should be tried as a juvenile. Police initially said he was in his 20s.
The woman, reportedly an intern, is undergoing treatment at Mumbai's Jaslok Hospital, where staff said she was stable but with multiple injuries.
The attack, which dismayed a city seen as far safer for women than the capital, sparked protests in Mumbai and uproar in the national parliament.