Cory Monteith, arrives at the "Glee" Spring Premiere Soiree in Los Angeles. — AP Photo
VANCOUVER: Cory Monteith, the 31-year-old heartthrob of Fox Television's musical-comedy series “Glee,” died of an apparently accidental overdose of heroin and alcohol, Canadian authorities said on Tuesday.
The British Columbia Coroners Service said in a release that post-mortem testing on the star, who was found dead on Saturday in a downtown Vancouver hotel room, died of “mixed-drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol.” It said Monteith's death was unlikely to have been intentional.
“There is absolutely nothing at this point, no evidence to suggest this is anything but the most sad and tragic accident,” said Barb McLintock, a spokeswoman for the Coroners Service.
Monteith was found dead shortly after noon on Saturday in his room at the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel. Vancouver police said they believed he was alone in the room after returning to the hotel early on Saturday morning. “There was evidence in the room that was consistent with a drug overdose,” Vancouver Police Department spokesman Brian Montague said at news conference, adding that the department's findings supported the Coroners Service report.
Montague said police had ruled out foul play. He would not say what evidence they found in the actor's hotel room.
Representatives for the actor's girlfriend, Lea Michele, who played Monteith's on-screen love interest in “Glee,” issued a statement on Tuesday thanking fans for their support.
“Since Cory's passing, Lea has been grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them,” Michele's representatives said in a statement. “They are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together.”
Monteith was public about his struggles with substance abuse. In April, he completed voluntary treatment for unspecified substance addiction at a rehab facility. He had also been treated in a facility at age 19.