RAWALPINDI, July 8: A man was electrocuted in Arya Mohallah while trying to drain out rainwater with wiper from balcony of his house on Monday.

As he suffered electric shock, he started screaming for help that caught the attention of other family members. “On hearing his screams, I along with my younger brother rushed to his rescue,” Mohammad Afzal, the elder brother of the victim told Dawn.

They tried to pull him out from the rainwater, he said adding: “Though we also suffered mild electric shock, we did not give up and finally dragged him out of the rainwater.”

The city received heavy rain on Monday morning, inundating his room’s balcony. “All of the family members were at home when my younger brother Ajmal attempted to drain out rain water from the balcony of his room,” Mohammed Afzal told Dawn.

He said as soon as his brother stepped into the water, he suffered a severe electric shock. Mr Afzal said he immediately called Rescue 1122 which promptly responded and they shifted their brother to the district headquarters hospital.

“The rescue services medical team tried their best to revive Ajmal as he was still breathing, but when he reached the hospital the doctors pronounced him dead,” Mohammad Afzal said.

The deceased has left behind a five-month old baby boy and a widow. The couple had been blessed with a baby after ten years of their marriage.

After the incident, Iesco officials were called, but they failed to find out electric current passing through the house.

“We are at a loss to understand whether the electric current was coming from street light which is very close to the balcony of the house or it came from somewhere else,” Mohammad Afzal said.


Do you have information you wish to share with Dawn.com? You can email our News Desk to share news tips, reports and general feedback. You can also email the Blog Desk if you have an opinion or narrative to share, or reach out to the Special Projects Desk to send us your Photos, or Videos.

More From This Section

Most Popular

Comments (0) Closed