AFTER completing all the prerequisites, I got my application, along with the fee of Rs2,500, submitted for the national identity card for overseas Pakistanis (NICOP) on April 30 at NRC, Awami Markaz, Karachi.

According to the rules, I should have got it within 30 days. Even after two months (on July 1), I was told that it is still not ready.

The next day I again went and another bombshell was waiting for me. I was intimated that my fingerprints’ data collected by NRC Awami Markaz, along with around 450 more applicants, got corrupted, so now I have to apply again and deposit the fresh application along with the fee, and wait for another minimum 20 days.

In this scenario, I have a few questions for Nadra’s top authorities. When was it detected that the data was corrupted and why was no action taken to intimate all the 450 applicants to contact the centre so that the damage done could have been mitigated at the earliest?

Why is Nadra charging again for the same service for no fault of theirs? The minimum courtesy demands that these 450 applications be treated on a fast track basis and without any additional payment.

The internal inquiry must be held and heads must roll.

MUHAMMAD AYUB Karachi

Hamza
Jul 07, 2013 04:44am

Wake up! You're dealing with NADRA.

Naseer
Jul 07, 2013 06:41am

Brother welcome to Pakistan where we have only one rule "might is right"

Shehzad Ahmed
Jul 07, 2013 09:38am

This is Pakistan, "jis ki lathi us ki bhains". Probably some one just took the money and threw the forms away. In any case my question is why do we need all different types of IDs? So when someone from overseas is travelling to Pakistan they can be identified and targeted for extra looting in foreign exchange? I think we are the only nation in the world who has 2 or 3 different types of ID cards. And they Pakistan is going its a hazard to carry NICOP.

NICOP
Jul 07, 2013 12:59pm

You should have gone to a fast track facility instead! I paid about 10 000 Rs and got my NICOP hustle free!

alan
Jul 07, 2013 01:23pm

Dear Ayub, I paid Rs 9000 for NICOP on 10 April, i was advised that photo with wig is not acceptable (accepted overseas). you cannot complain as corruption and inefficiency across the board. You maybe penalised for raising the issue.

Gerry D'Cunha
Jul 07, 2013 03:46pm

when will we pakistanis living abroad get genuine services from our embassy/high commission/consulates like other foreign missions - even india has a high reputation of serving its citizen in high esteem

ahmed
Jul 07, 2013 06:19pm

I applied for a NICOP a couple of years ago. On checking the status of my request on their 21st century website, I was shocked to learn that my application had been rejected. Since I met all the qualifications and had applied per the rules, I smelt a rat. So, I called a relation in Pakistan who is a Pakistan army general who in turn sent a man down to NADRA and the very next day to see what the hold-up was, and was delighted to learn that the status of my application had been magically approved.

Is it really so hard for NADRA management to crack down on corruption by, e.g., launching "sting" operations and jailing corrupt officials?

Syed Ahmed
Jul 07, 2013 07:30pm

If such a thing happened in Canada, the persons responsible for such a lapse would have been fired . People would have been compensated for the loss of time.