DAWN.COM

Today's Paper | May 20, 2026

Published 05 Jan, 2013 11:02pm

Four die in attack on train

QUETTA, Jan 5: Suspected militants attacked a train in Balochistan’s Bolan district on Saturday night, killing four people and injuring 10 others.

According to Machh Assistant Commissioner Mohammad Kashif Muhammadshahi, three passengers and a Frontier Corps man were killed when militants opened fire on the Quetta-bound train.

He said militants from nearby mountains had ambushed the train coming from Rawalpindi in Machh.

The engine of the Jaffar Express was also damaged.

Levies Force, police and Frontier Corps personnel were called in to take action against the militants after the attack.

An exchange of fire between the militants and security personnel followed in the adjoining mountains. The train was allowed to come to Quetta amid strict security about three hours later.

In another incident, Haji Barkat Baloch, an official of the communications and works department, and his son were killed in an attack on their vehicle.  A policeman said a minor girl sitting in the vehicle had been injured.

Read Comments

ISPR takes exception after Indian army chief says Pakistan should decide between being 'part of geography' or not Next Story