DAWN.COM

Today's Paper | May 20, 2026

Published 12 Feb, 2011 02:16pm

Threats force Roberto Carlos to leave Brazilian club Corinthians

SAO PAULO: Veteran left back Roberto Carlos has ended his contract with Corinthians by mutual consent.

Corinthians president Andres Sanchez says the 37-year-old former Brazil international asked to leave because of threats he and his family had received after the team was eliminated from the Copa Libertadores last week and because he had a “fantastic offer” to play overseas.

Sanchez did not say what offers the player had received but local media reported that the Los Angeles Galaxy and Russia’s Anzhi were interested in the player.

Roberto Carlos signed a two-year contract with Corinthians in January of 2010.

Read Comments

ISPR takes exception after Indian army chief says Pakistan should decide between being 'part of geography' or not Next Story