ISLAMABAD, May 21: Macedonia has offered apologies and assured full justice to families of six innocent Pakistanis who were killed in a fake encounter in Macedonian capital in March 2002.
The Pakistanis were shot dead by Macedonian security forces in Rastankski Lozja in March 2002 to win US favour and to show Washington that Macedonian government was its ally in the war against terror.
The then Macedonian government made a false claim that the Pakistanis were members of Al Qaeda and were planning a terrorist attack. An official inquiry by the Macedonian government had established that the former Interior Minister of Macedonia Ljube Boskovski and other senior police officials were involved in the brutal murder.
Pakistan's Ambassador to Macedonia Sher Afgan Khan held discussions with Deputy Minister for Interior Hasbi Lika, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs Fuad Hasanovic, spokesperson for the Ministry of Interior Ms Mirjana Kontevska, and State Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Igor Gundov, the Macedonian authorities to seek justice for those brutally murdered.
Pakistan had been demanding a formal apology, full justice to families of the victims and exemplary punishment to perpetrators of the heinous crime, and compensation to families of the murdered Pakistanis.
The deputy minister for interior offered apologies to the government and bereaved families for the murder of the innocent Pakistanis. The Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs said that the Macedonian government was fully committed to ensuring that justice was done to the victims of the families and the perpetrators of the abhorrent crime would be duly punished.
The Deputy Minister for Interior said that claim for compensation would only be possible after the charges were confirmed in a court of law. The Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs termed it the most unfortunate incident and hoped it would not cast a shadow on friendly and cordial relations between Pakistan and Macedonia. -APP