HYDERABAD, May 22: City lawyers are anxiously waiting for 10th of June to be part of long march after which they believe, pre-November 3 judiciary will be restored.

Thursday was the weekly boycott-of-court-day — a call given by the Pakistan Bar Council and the Supreme Court Bar Association. Lawyers stayed away from court proceedings and took out a rally inside civil court premises. They held a general body presided over by President Hyderabad District Bar Association Bashir Gujjar and addressed by President High Court Bar Association, Hyderabad Chapter Abdul Sattar Kazi; General Secretary HDBA, Nisar Durrani; Joint Secretary HCBA, Ayaz Tunio.

They said “we are fighting the war of principles and nobody could break our spirit as we are committed to get restored pre-November 3 judiciary.” They said all deposed judges, including Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry would be restored and vowed to sacrifice their lives for people’s rights.

The office-bearers of Karachi Bar Association and Sindh Bar Council led by the KBA President Mehmoodul Hassan held a meeting with leaders of Hyderabad lawyers to discuss the arrangements.

“We discussed the plan as advocates seemed to be joining long march in Multan. We have decided to leave for Multan on June 8 to be there on that day”, said Abdul Sattar Kazi adding: “There is another proposal of holding a convention in Sukkur to be addressed by the deposed CJ before long march.”

The plan was yet not finalized, he said. Lawyers were looking forward to ensure their participation, he said.

There was yet another proposal that lawyers from Thatta, Badin, Mirpurkhas, Tando Allahyar, and Jamshoro would converge in Hyderabad from where they would leave for Multan.

Mr Gujjar informed of the preparation lawyers had made to participate in the long march to which weekly protests were a proof and hinted at the inability of Hyderabad lawyers to attend Faisalabad convention.

Mr Durrani said another meeting had been convened for next Monday for final decision which will be communicated to other districts the same day. He said Karachi’s lawyers will most probably reach Hyderabad on June 8 to proceed to Multan.

Lawyers in Sukkur boycotted court proceedings and vowed to keep struggling till the restoration of judiciary. Secretary-General of the SHC Bar Association, Sukkur Chapter, Ghulam Shabbir Shar told journalists that a lawyers’ delegation led by President Sindh High Court Bar Association Sukkur Imdad Ali Awan will leave on Friday to attend telephonic address of the deposed CJP to Faisalabad Bar on May 24.

A large number of lawyers belonging to Sindh and Balochistan will start long march to Islamabad on June 8 from Sukkur.

Imdad Awan said a meeting of Sindh and Balochistan bar councils was scheduled in Sukkur on June 7 and lawyers will start long march on June 8 for their first destination Bahawalpur, while on June 9 they would march towards Multan where deposed Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhary was expected to join them.

The DBA members in Mirpurkhas boycotted court proceedings and took out rally from the bar office to Market Chowk. Later, they held a general body to discuss the situation.

Lawyers boycotted court proceedings in Naushahro Feroze, Moro, Kandiaro and Bhirya cities.

Labour Party of Pakistan activists staged a demonstration in Moro demanding restoration of judges without delay.

They also demanded control of prices especially of kitchen items.

Lawyers in Shikarpur also boycotted court proceedings.