BAGHDAD, Sept 3: Talks between the United States and Iraq over the transfer of operational command of Iraq’s armed forces were deadlocked on Sunday, with Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki demanding more independence from the US military.
A day after the dispute forced an embarrassing delay of a signing ceremony in Baghdad, an Iraqi Defence Ministry source said disagreements remained over the wording of a document that outlined the new relationship between US-led occupying forces and Iraq’s new military.
“There are some disputes between the two parties. We have our own point of view and they have theirs. We want thorough control and want the freedom to make decisions independently,” the source told Reuters on condition of anonymity.
Saturday’s ceremony to transfer control of Iraq’s army from US commander General George Casey to the Iraqi Defence Ministry had been hailed by US officials as a big step towards Iraq taking responsibility for security.—Agencies