WASHINGTON: The BBC has vowed to fight a lawsuit brought against it by US President Donald Trump over edited clips of a speech that made it appear he directed supporters to storm the US Capitol on January 6, 2021.

President Trump sued the BBC for up to $10 billion in damages, opening an international front in his fight against media coverage he deems untrue or unfair.

The lawsuit alleges the BBC defamed him and violated a Florida law that bars deceptive and unfair trade practices.

In a brief statement, the broadcaster said it would defend the case, and would not make any further comment.

UK govt launches funding review of broadcaster, including its World Service

It had previously apologised to Trump, admitted an error of judgment and acknowledged that the edit gave the mistaken impression that he had made a direct call for violent action. But it has said there is no legal basis to sue.

Cabinet minister Stephen Kinnock said the BBC had apologised and said there were no grounds for legal action. “It’s right that the BBC stands firm on that point,” he told Sky News on Tuesday.

However, PM Keir Starmer’s office said on Tuesday that any legal action against the BBC was a matter for the broadcaster but the government supported its independence.

Funding review

In the midst of all this, the UK government has also launched a review into the BBC’s funding with a view to “future-proof” it.

Currently the BBC’s funding mainly comes from a £174.50 annual charge imposed on all viewing households, but the number of licence holders has been falling. The broadcaster operates on the basis of a charter which is reviewed every decade. The current one expires in December 2027.

The government said on Tuesday it was considering reforms, including options to generate more commercial revenue. It will also examine options for funding the World Service, which broadcasts to 453 million people globally each week.

BBC Director General Tim Davie, who resigned over the Trump complaint but has not yet left, said the BBC welcomed the outline of the government’s reforms.

Published in Dawn, December 17th, 2025