BEIJING: China stuck to its stance on the future of TikTok in the US on Satu­r­day, a day after President Donald Trump said a deal to switch short video app TikTok to US- controlled own­ership was progressing.

“China’s position on TikTok is clear: The Chi­nese government respects the wishes of the enterp­rise, and welcomes it to carry out commercial negotiations in accordance with market rules to reach a solution compliant with China’s laws and regulati­ons, and strikes a balance of interests,” China’s Com­merce Ministry said in a statement, reiterating a position it has maintained over the past week.

Key questions remain about the potential US/China deal after Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping held a call on Friday. They include the precise ownership structure of TikTok, how much control China will retain over the app’s inner workings, and what Beijing gets from backing down and letting the US muscle in on one of China’s most successful companies.

Progress over the future of the social media app — which has 170 million US users — is seen key to unlocking concessions in other areas — from airplanes to soybeans — as the world’s two largest economies chart a path beyond their current tariff truce.

“It is hoped that the US side will work towards the same goal as China, earnestly fulfil its corresponding commitments, and provide an open, fair, equitable and non-discriminatory business environment for the continued operation of Chinese enterpr­ises in the US, including TikTok,” the Commerce Ministry statement added.

Since a framework deal was struck in Madrid earlier this week, Chinese officials and state media have called it a “win-win”, pro­mising to review TikTok’s technology exp­orts and int­ellectual property licensing.

The framework deal was one hurdle Trump needed to clear to keep TikTok open. US Congress had originally ordered the app to be shut down for US users by January 2025 if its US assets were not sold by Chinese owner ByteDance.

He Yadong, a spokesperson for China’s Commerce Ministry, reiterated Chi­n­a’s hope that the US reduce the barriers to trade facing Chinese firms, when asked what Beijing had got out of the Madrid deal during a news conference on Thursday.

Published in Dawn, September 21st, 2025

Editorial

17 Aug, 2026

Work in progress

THE State Bank governor’s optimistic assessment of the economy must be seen in the context of the reality hidden...
17 Aug, 2026

Unfit supplies

A SYRINGE in a public hospital should be among the simplest guarantees of safety. Yet Sindh’s Public Accounts...
17 Aug, 2026

Israel’s war on life

A FINANCIAL Times investigation into southern Lebanon shows how Israel’s brutal military campaign has torn ...
Updated 16 Aug, 2026

Balochistan’s wounds

The state has alienated even those political elements in Baloch society that have been peacefully pursuing their rights.
16 Aug, 2026

Tax scheme

THE Hyderabad SITE Association of Trade and Industry has formally endorsed new measures introduced to ease...
16 Aug, 2026

In choppy waters

MORE than three months after Somali pirates captured an oil tanker carrying a multinational crew, including 11...