DAWN.COM

Today's Paper | May 21, 2026

Published 04 Jun, 2022 04:14am

Police ordered to record statements of DC, others in Dadu village fire case

DADU: The first additional sessions judge of Dadu on Friday ordered recording of statements of three former officials — deputy commissioner, assistant commissioner and district health officer – with regard to the horrible fire that had hit Faiz Mohammad Daryani Chandio village of a Faridabad union council in Mehar taluka on April 18.

The fire had left 10 children and dozens of animals dead, besides reducing over 50 thatched houses and everything present inside to ashes.

The affected villagers had complained that no fire tenders were sent to the village by the town municipality concerned or the taluka and district administration until the heavy loss of live and property was inflicted by the fire, which raged through the village for about 11 hours after it started at about 9pm.

Judge says action should be taken against officials responsible for such incidents

Taking notice of the media reports about the incident, Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah had constituted an inquiry committee under Home Secretary Saeed Ahmed Mangnejo while Hyderabad DIG Syed Pir Mohammad Shah had formed a joint investigation team (JIT) under Dadu SSP Irfan Ali Samoo. In the light of the findings of the inquiries, the then DC, Sami Nisar Ahmed Shaikh, was transferred. Mehar assistant commissioner Fahim Lakhiar and DHO Abdul Hameed Shaikh were suspended and later they, too, were transferred.

In the hearing of the case on Friday, the first additional sessions judge observed that mere transfer of officials in such cases was not enough.

Unfortunately, after any such incident, the officials concerned were suspended and later transferred, but appropriate action as per law was not taken against them, the judge remarked, and noted that in the instant case also, the three officials were merely transferred and no action had been taken against them.

He ordered the authorities concerned to get statements of the DC, AC and DHO recorded and if a cognizable offence is made out, their names be included in the FIR, lodged by Imamuddin Chandio who had lost his four children to the fire. The complainant is represented by his lawyer, Mushtaq Chandio.

The judge also asked the Dadu SSP to get the matter investigated through a responsible officer above the rank of inspector after the officials’ statements were recorded.

He called for including the Mehar taluka municipal officer (TMO), official in charge of the Mehar fire brigade, medical superintendent of the Mehar Taluka Hospital and his deputy and nine private persons [as named in the inquiry reports] in the investigation.

Dadu SSP Irfan Samoo told local reporters that the court order would be complied with in letter and spirit.

Published in Dawn, June 4th, 2022

Read Comments

Blue passports okayed for 42 top taxpayers Next Story