JUI-F demands probe into utilisation of Rs10.8bn relief fund by Sindh govt
SUKKUR: Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) Sindh general secretary Maulana Rashid Mahmood Soomro has accused Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah of politicising the coronavirus outbreak by creating fear among the masses. In a statement issued here on Monday, the JUI-F leader called for a fair inquiry by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) into the CM’s claim of having distributed relief goods worth Rs10.8 billion among deserving people affected by lockdown in the province.
He said the FIA should be assigned a probe into utilisation of the Rs10.8bn coronavirus relief fund by Sindh government, adding that he was ready to provide “concrete evidence” to the FIA in this connection.—APP
Our Correspondent adds: Unrest was witnessed at the Ghotki quarantine centre on Monday where suspected coronavirus victims raised a hue and cry for not being heard over what they claimed was serving of substandard food to them.
They complained of the rude and indifferent attitude of the centre’s administration, saying that they had been making such complaints for many days but no one was listening to them.
Speaking to media personnel at the centre, they displayed burnt bread (roti) and unpalatable dishes being served to them. “The officials concerned should first eat this food and then approve it for serving to the patients who are already facing medical issues as well as other troubles while staying away from home and families,” they complained.
They said they had made such complaints to the assistant commissioner concerned more than once but no action was being taken. “We are not even allowed to arrange for food on our own,” they added.
There are more than 150 suspected coronavirus patients kept at the facility and most of them are members of the Tableeghi Jamaat.
At the major quarantine centre set up in Labour Colony, most of the 35 or so Jamaat members complained of unhygienic conditions making their lives miserable. They told local reporters that a healthy person kept at the centre would definitely fall victim to multiple diseases in such an environment, let alone a coronavirus patient.
They said there had been no arrangement for cleaning rooms, corridors and other parts of the facility or clearing sewers and drains. Mosquitoes would pester inmates all night, they added.
“After being brought to the centre, we were not served food for two days,” they said, adding that they had to arrange for food on their own. They said they were told that ration supply to the centre had been disrupted causing the issue.
They also complained of substandard and tasteless food being provided to them since the centre’s administration received supplies.
Published in Dawn, April 21st, 2020