02 September, 2014 / Ziqa'ad 6, 1435

HYDERABAD: 450 PPP leaders, workers booked

Published Aug 17, 2005 12:00am

HYDERABAD, Aug 16: Two separate cases have been registered at Tando Mohammad Khan and Bulri Shah Karim police stations against hundreds of PPP leaders and workers for taking out a procession on the Independence Day.

Those nominated in the FIRs include the deputy leader of the opposition in the National Assembly, Syed Naveed Qamar, former provincial minister Syed Mohsin Shah Bukhari, Tando Mohammad Khan PPP president Mohammad Amin Lakho and MPA Abdul Qadir Soomro. The cases have been registered under sections 188, 153, 147 and 141, PPC.

The PPP had taken out the procession from Tando Mohammad Khan to Bulri Shah Karim in violation of section 144, Cr.PC.

Mr Lakho, PPP information secretary Abdul Aziz Halepoto, Mohammad Amin Sathio and other leaders have condemned the registration of cases against the PPP leaders and workers.

Speaking at a news conference at the press club here on Tuesday, Mr Lakho said that the procession taken out by the PPP to celebrate the Independence Day was peaceful. He added that the registration of cases against 450 workers for celebrating the Independence Day was a shameful act. He said when the ruling parties could bring out processions to celebrate the Independence Day, the PPP could not be denied this right. He said the PPP workers had every right to celebrate the Independence Day like other countrymen.

He said the mala fide intention of the rulers could be gauged from the fact that names of 60 people had been mentioned in the FIR which indicated that a list of PPP activists had been provided to police. He said it had been stated in the FIR that 390 accused could not be identified. He claimed that it was clear that police had left their options open to arrest anyone at a later stage.

He appealed to the Chief Election Commissioner to take notice of the excesses against the PPP to ensure impartiality and transparency of the local body elections.

Mr Lakho later told Dawn that the district and sessions judge had granted pre-arrest bail to 33 of the nominated people.


Do you have information you wish to share with Dawn.com? You can email our News Desk to share news tips, reports and general feedback. You can also email the Blog Desk if you have an opinion or narrative to share, or reach out to the Special Projects Desk to send us your Photos, or Videos.

More From This Section

Comments (0) (Closed)