LAHORE, Nov 30: The Peoples’s Party Parliamentarians (PPP) wants the democratic system to continue and will not take any step to pull down the present government even though it had lost majority in the National Assembly after the Muttahida Qaumi Movement’s decision to sit on the opposition benches, party President Makhdoom Amin Fahim said here on Saturday.
Answering reporters’ questions, he said the Jamali government had lost majority after the MQM with 17 seats in parliament withdrew its support. In such a situation, he said, the government should seek a confidence vote to prove majority.
The PPP leader said it was still not clear whether the MQM’s decision was irrevocable or not.
Asked about the possible options available to the PPP in such a situation, Fahim said the party would not act in haste and would like the system to continue as no system was better than democracy.
Replying to a question, he said the Sindh Assembly session was being delayed presumably because the government was trying to create a forward bloc of the PPP there. Condemning such efforts in strongest terms, Fahim demanded that the session be convened without delay.
In response to a question, he said leaders of the PPP forward bloc in the National Assembly would be proceeded against in accordance with the party constitution.
He said show cause notices had already been issued to them.
He dismissed as “disinformation” suggestions that the forward bloc had been set up with Ms Bhutto’s consent.
Fahim answered in the negative when a reporter asked if the dissident leaders could still accepted back. He recalled that such people had been allowed to rejoin the party in the past which had a very negative impact.