ISLAMABAD, Sept 16: A comprehensive study has been carried out on slope stabilisation and realignment of motorway for heavy traffic in the Salt Range in order to avoid incidents of landslides in the area.

Presiding over the executive board meeting here on Saturday, National Highway Authority (NHA) chairman Maj-Gen (retired) Farrukh Javed said the recent heavy rains and incidents of landslides had necessitated the need to realign the motorway for heavy traffic in the Salt Range and three or four options were currently under study.

He informed the meeting that the new alignment would be meant for heavy traffic only and the lighter vehicles would continue to ply on the existing alignment. The process of realignment would cost around Rs3-Rs4 billion and a separate project concept would be required for the purpose.

Mr Javed said Torkham-Jalalabad road was a collective effort which had enhanced the Afghan government’s confidence in NHA. After the successful execution of the project, the Afghan government had decided to award the contract for an additional carriageway to NHA, he added.

He apprised the board of the progress on Islamabad-Murree dual carriageway and said around 70 per cent work on the project had been completed.

He said Nespak might conduct a separate study in the non- stable slopes areas of the project so that any possible incident of landslide could be avoided before hand.

The NHA chief stressed the need to increase the efficiency of toll plazas on various highways.

Surprise checks should be conducted to monitor the working of toll plazas and the award of contact should be based on performance only, he said, adding that this would not only improve their functioning but also result in increased revenue.