ISLAMABAD: The Federal Ombudsman has once again issued a reminder to the Federal Government Employees Housing Authority (FGEHA) over its continued failure to implement earlier directives regarding the long-delayed Green Enclave-I housing project, directing the authority to submit a fresh progress report by June 10, 2026.
The matter pertains to complaints filed by Chaudhry Amjad Ali and other allottees, who accused FGEHA of prolonged inaction despite repeated assurances.
The complainants maintained that the project, launched in 2009, remains incomplete even after more than 16 years, while possession of plots has yet to be handed over despite payment of additional land charges by allottees.
The Federal Ombudsman had earlier issued findings on Dec 17, 2025, directing FGEHA to address the grievances of allottees and accelerate development work in the housing scheme. However, according to complainants, practical progress on ground remained negligible despite the directives.
Subsequently, another reminder was issued on April 13, 2026, seeking implementation of the earlier findings, but development activities failed to resume the work.
During an implementation hearing held on May 5, 2026, officials of FGEHA cited multiple reasons for delays in execution of the project. However, the Ombudsman Secretariat expressed concern over continued non-compliance, noting that even the progress report earlier sought by May 5 had not been submitted by the authority.
In the latest communication of May 20, Federal Ombudsman directed the Director General of FGEHA to personally review the matter and ensure redress of grievances in accordance with the Ombudsman’s findings issued in December last year.
Aslam Chaudhary, an allottee of the scheme, said that despite investing his life savings in the project, he was still waiting for possession of his residential plot. “Allottees have been hearing explanations for years, but there is no visible development on ground. We now need practical results instead of repeated assurances,” he said.
Another allottee, Fazale Maula, expressed frustration over the prolonged delay, saying many retired government employees were still living in rented houses while their purchased plots remained undeveloped. He urged the authorities to immediately implement the Ombudsman’s directives and complete the pending work without further delay.
Chaudhry Amjad Ali, who has been spearheading the efforts of Green Enclave-I allottees, said the delay was affecting as many as 3,282 families and reflected serious governance and administrative issues within FGEHA.
He said several allottees had passed away while waiting to construct homes they had dreamed of building for their children.
“We are planning to stage a peaceful protest in front of FGEHA building after Eid if the authorities continue to ignore the plight of allottees,” he added.
The Green Enclave-I project consists of 729 plots measuring 25x50, 845 plots of 30x60, 739 plots of 35x70, 583 plots of 40x80, and 386 plots measuring 50x90.
Published in Dawn, May 24th, 2026
