Dengue virus under control, says commissioner
RAWALPINDI: Commissioner Noorul Amin Mengal on Friday informed a high-level meeting that the spread of dengue was under control as so far only five confirmed cases have been reported in Rawalpindi division.
The meeting was jointly presided over the PML-N member Punjab Assembly Khawaja Salman Rafique and Secretary Primary and Secondary and Specialised Health Ali Jan at commissioner’s office through video link.
The commissioner gave a detailed briefing to the meeting about the current dengue situation in the division.
The MPA and secretary told the Rawalpindi division administration that work must be done on war footing to contain dengue.
They said full surveillance should be done and the negligence of any officer or official would not be tolerated during the ongoing campaign against dengue.
Commissioner Rawalpindi Noorul Amin Mengal informed the meeting that so far there are five confirmed cases of dengue in Rawalpindi. “We are focusing on high risk areas,” he said.
He further said that 1,830 teams were participating in indoor and outdoor surveillance. In the last one month, indoor surveillance was done at 163,601 spots and larvae were found in 381 houses while 72,175 spots were covered during outdoor surveillance, and larvae were destroyed in 61 commercial areas.
He said that FIR has been registered against two vendors for violation of dengue SOPs, while 127 notices, 28 challans have been issued, besides sealing 13 places and imposing a fine of Rs18,200 has been imposed.
He said it was not the intention to fine or arrests any shopkeeper but to implement dengue SOPs.
Published in Dawn, May 14th, 2022