DAWN.COM

Today's Paper | May 20, 2026

Published 03 Apr, 2021 05:41am

Rio Open cancelled over virus

RIO DE JANEIRO: This year’s Rio Open tennis tournament was cancelled on Thursday because of the spike in Covid-19 cases in Brazil, organisers said.

The ATP tournament had already been postponed from its original February dates, and organisers said the continued uncertainty around the pandemic meant it would not be rescheduled.

“We fought until the end to be able to play in 2021, but unfortunately it is not possible,” said tournament director Luiz Carvalho.

The coronavirus has killed more than 320,000 people in the South American nation, with March its deadliest month since the pandemic began.

Organisers said next year’s tournament would be played in February. The 2020 Rio Open champion was Chile’s Cristian Garin.

Published in Dawn, April 3rd, 2021

Read Comments

Blue passports okayed for 42 top taxpayers Next Story