DAWN.COM

Today's Paper | May 21, 2026

Published 05 Jan, 2021 12:54pm

Japan sumo champion Hakuho tests positive for coronavirus

Record-breaking sumo champion Hakuho has tested positive for Covid-19 just days before the New Year tournament, the Japan Sumo Association (JSA) said.

The JSA said Hakuho was tested after noticing a loss of smell, and that other members of the Miyagino stable who are thought to have come into contact with him would be tested, AFP reported.

The Mongolian-born 35-year-old, who has won a record 44 tournaments and holds sumo's highest rank of yokozuna, had been preparing for the 15-day New Year Grand Sumo Tournament, which starts Sunday in Tokyo.

A JSA spokesperson said his participation in the basho, or tournament, was as yet undecided, but the competition was set to go ahead as scheduled.

Read Comments

Blue passports okayed for 42 top taxpayers Next Story