KARACHI, Aug 6: The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority has been directed to provide call detail record (CDR) to police and the interior ministry will ensure that it is provided to the law-enforcement agency so that action is taken against extortionists and other criminals in the city in a more effective way.
This was stated at a meeting, chaired by Sindh Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah and Federal Interior Minister Rehman Malik, held at the CM House on Monday to review law and order in Karachi.
It was decided that security of foreign workers be enhanced and police patrol extended to all parts of the city and highways.
Earlier, the meeting was informed that 133 extortionists had been arrested over the recent few months during which 55 policemen and two Rangers personnel were killed.
The chief minister noted that the law and order situation had improved with concerted efforts of police, Rangers and other law-enforcement agencies and public cooperation. He expressed the hope that the law-enforcement agencies would continue their efforts to control law and order.
Mr Shah said that welfare organisations should get themselves registered before collecting donations.
Taking strong notice of extortions and attacks on houses and shops of traders, Interior Minister Rehman Malik called for mobilising all resources in order to eliminate criminals in the city.
Mr Malik said that the objective of criminals was to destabilise Karachi. He said he had given a clear warning to those involved in targeted killings, extortionists and perpetrators of the crime to surrender before the law-enforcement agencies, or else prompt action would be taken against them.
Principal Secretary to the Chief Minister Mohammad Siddique Memon, Sindh Home Secretary Rizwan Memon, Sindh IG Fayyaz Ahmad Leghari, additional IG Iqbal Mehmood, a Rangers representative Col Shafique, DIGs of all the three zones and other officers were present.
Later, Mr Malik told the media that Balochistan was being destabilised under a well-planned conspiracy and those behind the conspiracy would be unmasked with the support of people and the media.
The minister said that the government was according top priority to restoring law and order in Balochistan.
In reply to a question, he said that no military operation was being carried out in Balochistan.
In reply to another question, he said that operation against extortionists and criminal elements was under way in Karachi and nobody would be allowed to take the law into their hands. —Agencies