“I look forward to playing my 200th Test Match on home soil, as I call it a day.” -Photo by AP
Tendulkar, who made his Test debut in 1989, said that he found it hard to imagine life without cricket. -Photo by AP
Tendulkar retired from ODIs in December last year. -Photo by AFP
Tendulkar retired from ODIs in December last year. -Photo by AFP

NEW DELHI: India's record-breaking batsman Sachin Tendulkar announced Thursday that he would retire after playing his 200th Test match next month, calling time on a career stretching nearly a quarter of a century.

Tendulkar – a genius without peer | ‘We could sense he was special’

Tendulkar, the highest run-scorer in Test cricket history and the only player to make 100 centuries in international cricket, said he had been “living a dream” since making his debut in 1989 but recognised it was now time to call it quits.

“It's been a huge honour to have represented my country and played all over the world,” the batsman said in a statement.

India is to play a two-Test series against the West Indies next month which would enable Tendulkar, who has already made 198 appearances, to become the first player to reach the 200 landmark.

Tendulkar, 40, said he found it hard to imagine life without cricket “because it's all I have ever done since I was 11 years old.”

“All my life, I have had a dream of playing cricket for India. I have been living this dream every day for the last 24 years,” he said.

The right-handed batsman has scored 15,837 runs since his debut against Pakistan in Karachi in November 1989, although he has struggled for form in recent times. His 100 centuries in international cricket includes 51 Test tons.

His last Test match century came in January 2011 when India played South Africa and he retired from One-Day internationals late last year.

He also played his last Twenty20 match earlier this month in an appearance for the Mumbai Indians.

Tendulkar captained India for several years but the high point of his career came in 2011 when he was part of the Indian team to win the World Cup.

He was carried from the field by his team-mates after the final in his hometown of Mumbai.

Known as the 'Little Master', Tendulkar has been widely hailed by his contemporaries as second only to the Australian legend Sir Donald Bradman in the pantheon of batting greats.

Australia's Shane Warne, who was considered one of his generation's finest spinners along with Sri Lanka's Muttiah Muralitharan, said that no one else came close to Tendulkar in his prime. “Sachin Tendulkar is, in my time, the best player without a doubt -- daylight second, Brian Lara third,” said Warne.

Tendulkar, who is an honourary member of parliament, has sometimes struggled to cope with his iconic status, but he made a point of praising his fans in his retirement statement.

“Most of all, I thank my fans and well-wishers who through their prayers and wishes have given me the strength to go out and perform at my best,” he said.

Tendulkar first hit the headlines as a 14-year-old when he shared a then world record partnership of 664 runs in a school match with Vinod Kambli, who would also go on to play for India.

Legendary Indian opener Sunil Gavaskar once said he was convinced Tendulkar would achieve greatness when he first saw him bat in the nets more than two decades ago.

“It is hard to imagine any player in the history of the game who combines classical technique with raw aggression like the little champion does. There is not a single shot he cannot play,” said Gavaskar.

The numbers:

Tests: Matches 198, Runs 15,837, Highest 248 not out, Average 53.86, Centuries 51, Half-centuries 67

One-dayers: Matches 463, Runs 18,426, Highest 200 not out, Average 44.83, Centuries 49, Half-centuries 96

Twenty20: Match 1, Runs 10, Average 10.00

World records: - Most Test runs and centuries - Most one-day runs and centuries - Only batsman to score 100 international centuries - Most World Cup runs (2,278) - Most appearances in Tests and one-day internationals - 1,000 or more Test runs in a calendar year six times: 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2008, 2010 - 1,000 or more one-day runs in a calendar year seven times: 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2007

Anwar
Oct 10, 2013 03:35pm

Grand Salute

Fabionatoo
Oct 10, 2013 03:47pm

R.I.P CRICKET Born: 15Nov1989 Dead: 18Nov2013

Rehmat
Oct 10, 2013 03:45pm

@Anwar: Why the grand salute? Amir Sohail was far better than him.

Shoaib hassan
Oct 10, 2013 03:52pm

Finally.!, Thought this gem of a cricketer would go on for ever. As much as we as pakistani's wanted the fall of his wicket, there is no doubt he earned a lot of respect and admiration from opposing players and spectators alike. It will be long before we see another legend from the sub continent like Sachin Tendulkar again. Too bad he could'nt lay his last test against pakistan too. Sachin, all the best.!

usmanaziz10
Oct 10, 2013 03:53pm

A man who make history with his achievements, though i am not a great admirer of the player but he is a legend......

Fabionatoo
Oct 10, 2013 03:53pm

RIP Cricket Born: 15Nov1989 Dead: 18Nov2013

sagar
Oct 10, 2013 04:00pm

@Fabionatoo: i agree

Tarun Jain
Oct 10, 2013 03:54pm

End of an Era.

Thisis Irony
Oct 10, 2013 04:01pm

you are truly god!!!

jala
Oct 10, 2013 04:35pm

@Rehmat: ha ha ha ha .......

Omar
Oct 10, 2013 04:33pm

Since I started watching cricket, I always wanted Tendulkar to retire from cricket (because of the runs he made against us) but now when he is going to do it, I am sad. Great player and salute to you sir.

Regards, Omar

vishal mahajan
Oct 10, 2013 04:50pm

Strange but I never expected People from Pakistan liking Sachin Tendulkar.............................

Manish Rohera
Oct 10, 2013 04:52pm

Michael Clarke - A Man Who Has The Capability To Hit The Same Ball In 5 Different Areas On The Field.. Bret Lee - Greatest Global Superstar McCgrath - A Player Who Can Hit You For Sixes In-spite Of Your Bouncer Shane Warne - My Night Mare Steve Waugh - All Plans Were Made For Him Only Ricky Pointing - God Of Straight Drive Lara - Best Batsmen Of Among All Era "I Want My Son To Become Sachin Tendulkar."-Brian Lara(WI) "We Did Not Lose To A Team Called India, We Lost To Man Called Sachin"Mark Taylor(Aus) 'Nothing Bad Can Happen To Us If We Were On A Plane In India With Sachin Tendulkar On It."-Hashim Amla (SA) "He Can Play That Leg Glance With A Walking Stick Also. -Waqar Younis(Pak) "There Are Two Kind Of Batsman In The World. 1 SachinTendulkar And 2. All The Others .-AndyFlower(ZIM) "I Have Seen God. He Bats At No.4 For India In Tests.-Matthew Hayden(AUS.) "I See Myself When I See Sachin Batting.-Sir Don Bradman(AUS) "Do Your Crime When Sachin Is Batting, Because Even God Is Busy Watching His Batting. -AustralianFan Barack Obama"I Don't Know About Cricket But Still I Watch Cricket To See Sachin Play..Not Because I Love His Play Its Because I Want To Know The Reason Why My Country's Production Goes Down By 5 Percent When He's In Batting" ya that's you Master Blaster....Bye Bye Sachin

Satyameva Jayate
Oct 10, 2013 05:08pm

@Rehmat: I hope you do notice 'Rate Downs' to your immature comment.

Aaman
Oct 10, 2013 05:14pm

Suddenly I feel depress that I wouldn't like cricket as enthusiastically as I used to. I find myself lonely, sad and heavy-heart this morning, witnessing to watch the dusk of an era which was started when I was too young to understand cricket. I further see that a friend of mine sailing away in to the dark from where he will never return to bring smile on my face. The legend is signing off finally. Thank you Sachin for entertaining us for so long and also teaching that how one can remain cool and calm despite touching the peak of peak. All the best.

Sachin
Oct 10, 2013 05:25pm

I grew up watching Sachin. I feel that ideal time to retire would have been after World cup. However one must understand how hard it is for a person who is what cricket made him. I feel a huge vacuum in India cricket and in my heart. Good luck champ in your non official innings.

The Doctor
Oct 10, 2013 05:46pm

A truly special athlete. Tendulkar was a gentleman on the pitch and there were no scandals for him off the pitch either. Watching him on the pitch was like watching one of the great artists at work. We are very privileged to have watched him become cricket's greatest ever.

Wahab
Oct 10, 2013 05:47pm

Just as i read this.. his whole carrer flashed in front of my eyes...his innings in chennai 1998 against us, wc centurion 2003 ,rawalpindi 2004... :(.. cant deny..there is no cricket loving soul on this planet who isnt going to miss this little man from Bombay who gave us so much to remember.....

Ad Zad
Oct 10, 2013 05:54pm

@Rehmat: I would love to know if you would have felt the same if Sachin Tendulkar was Shahid Tanvir and he had a green passport. Look at things beyond religion and nationality. Amir Sohail was an above average player, if you think Amir Sohail was better than Sachin, obviously you dont understand cricket. Likewise I feel Wasim Akram was the greatest bowler I have seen and it doesnt matter to me what religion he followed and if his passport was green or blue.

Sports man
Oct 10, 2013 06:06pm

My all time favourite Quote of Sachin was from BBC sports. It sums it all ''Beneath the helmet, under that unruly curly hair, inside the cranium, there is something we don't know, something beyond scientific measure. Something that allows him to soar, to roam a territory of sport that, forget us, even those who are gifted enough to play alongside him cannot even fathom. When he goes out to bat, people switch on their television sets and switch off their lives''

Asghar Hussain
Oct 10, 2013 06:01pm

@Rehmat: I believe, Cricket we're talking about here. Are you high or something? Go sleep it off.

Akhilesh Kumar
Oct 10, 2013 06:12pm

His humbleness, commitment and achievements will inspire the generations. Fortunate to saw him playing!!!!!!!

Robinson J
Oct 10, 2013 06:13pm

Take a Bow !! Sachin you are and will be one of the greats of the game, there are some people who might say he should have retire some time back or he did not fire in the most important games- Well i will just say this- when somebody becomes this big as Sachin has, we tend to expect him to fire in each and every game but what people forget is all the great game he has played, has entertained us and won games for India, and iam sure we all will agree whenever he fired it was just a delight for the eyes to see such perfect shots and dominance over the bowlers from all countries and in every ground, also would appreciate people to give him regards for being a Sportsman not only as a cricketer who maintained his fitness/behavior so consistently all these years, he belongs to the same league as Babe Ruth/Michael Jordan/Carl Lewis/Pele and all the legends from the sports world. I can bet there will be tears in millions if not billions eyes when he walks out towards the pavilion for the last time- now how many People can create such an affect in our lives.

Sachin you are the best and will remain so in every aspect of life.

We will miss seeing you on field post your Last Game.

Asli Hindustani
Oct 10, 2013 06:20pm

@Rehmat: get your head checked, you are mentally sick

Salim Langda
Oct 10, 2013 06:39pm

Sachin, you will be missed.

dr vimal raina
Oct 10, 2013 06:41pm

just feel kind of old today.

Singh Saab
Oct 10, 2013 06:54pm

Players contribution to the game should be applauded by all who like to watch the game irrespective of where the player is from. Well done Sachin. Surely grounds will give something missing kind of feelings for a while before we will learn to move on. Good job.

Rogers Evans
Oct 10, 2013 06:50pm

A great player, ever to play cricket, fun to watch and humble guy. Wish him all the best in his life ST, you are really a great cricketer in the world.

Imran
Oct 10, 2013 06:56pm

The 136 he scored against us in Chennai 1999 will always be etched in my memory. Greatest Test innings I've ever seen.

Robinson J
Oct 10, 2013 06:52pm

@Rehmat- Bhai Just read his records mentioned in this story and assess yourself who was and is the best amongst all

Ramjam
Oct 10, 2013 07:03pm

@Rehmat: I understand that we Indians & Pakistanis will always dislike each other but don't say Sohail was better than Tendulkar. I know it hurts you that Sachin achieved so much in his career. Sohail was good but not near Tendulkar

a
Oct 10, 2013 07:11pm

So he announces his retirement after articles have been published in the news that he will eb asked by the BCCI to quit cricket? I call it a humiliating exit from cricket, which he certainly doesn't deserve. Nevertheless, he was past his prime long ago, but during he prime, he certainly was one of the best.

sj
Oct 10, 2013 07:30pm

@Ad Zad: Amen to that! I'm from India, a Hindu if that really matters when speaking about sports. My all time favorite batsman is Sachin, my all time favorite bowler is Wasim Akram and my all time favorite cricketer is Wasim Akram.

I felt depressed when Wasim retired (and was equally angry when he bowled those lethal yorkers at Indian batsman) , feels the same now when Little Master is going to retire! Will have to depend on youtube now for clips of his elegant cover drives.

Let us not mix sports with politics / religion and all those things which divides people more than unite, let us see sports for what it is .. to entertain, to bring people together and not to divide!

IndiaUSA
Oct 10, 2013 07:46pm

@Rehmat I hope you do realize that you just made 'Joke of the Day' lol

Robinson J
Oct 10, 2013 08:07pm

@Rehmat- You comparing Sachin with Amir Sohail- are you out of your mind?- people wouldn't have reacted this way if you would have compared him with the real Great Pakistani Batsmen like Zaheer Abass/Javed Miandad/Hanif Mhd/Inzamam/Mohd Yousuf & of all Saeed Anwar, tells us how much you know cricket and your own batsmen. .

Aamir Sohail- Come on give me a break dude!! he is way behind all the above Big Pakistani names - he ranks in my view even below than Misbah & yusuf Yohana

sj
Oct 10, 2013 08:03pm

@vishal mahajan:

My friend, that is called sports! The fact that you see people from a bitter rival saluting to a Legend of sports just shows that sports has served it purpose. Sports is meant to entertain, to bring people together and not to divide (for the most part, for every thing there is an exception).

Robinson J
Oct 10, 2013 08:16pm

My Rating:

Greatest Fast Bowlers of all time : Wasim Akram & Malcom Marshal

Greatest Spin Bowlers: Warne & Saqlain

Greatest Batsman of all time: Sachin/Lara/Viv Richards

Greatest All Rounder: Imran/Kapil/Botham/Kallis

Greatest Captains: Imran & Kapil (They both beat odds and with their performance won the World Cup)

Zia
Oct 10, 2013 08:47pm

Sachin undoubtedly is a great player whose absence from the scene of cricket will always be missed..He was a record maker and breaker but his performance as match winner will always be questioned..

Anwar
Oct 10, 2013 10:27pm

@Rehmat: Great joke....couldn't stop laughing.......you made my day !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ali
Oct 10, 2013 10:30pm

@Fabionatoo: ab itna bhi over mat ho...Cricket is what made him and no one is above the game..he is just a batsman with good skills...nothing more...relaxx baby :)

Anwar
Oct 10, 2013 10:55pm

@Rehmat: Try thinking of him as great cricketer , rather an Indian . Prehaps it will help you.
Salute to Sohail as well.

More than 24 years , not did he score tonnes of runs , he is great ambassador for cricket as well.

Ash
Oct 10, 2013 10:52pm

@Rehmat: Even afridi is/was better lol (: isn't it Rehmat bhai ??????

sanjay
Oct 10, 2013 11:07pm

I have been watching him play since I started to understand cricket......whenever wicket got down I used to think that.......no need to worry.......as long as HE is there.....we are always going to win.....today there are so many talented players in the batting line up...... but nobody can replace him.......he will always be my fav batsman.....Salute......!!!!!

Prateek Patnaik
Oct 10, 2013 11:19pm

@Rehmat:hahaha....biggest joke of the century....... alteast have the guts to admire others.....

k k tiwari
Oct 10, 2013 11:28pm

amazing, so many flowering comments from my pakistani friends , love u all and again thanks for Dawn, which is closing us to each other

Shahid Pervez
Oct 10, 2013 11:51pm

@Rehmat: If you are in a joking mood then why you did not say Imran Farhat is a better cricketer than both Aamir Sohail and Sachin Tendulkar. We would have enjoyed it more.

Azmat Khan
Oct 10, 2013 11:59pm

@sj:SJ I am a Muslim but but I feel pleasure in saying that Tendulkar is among the topmost cricketers of the world.I am his fan.

Oh No
Oct 11, 2013 12:16am

His first ball duck will be always be remembered by his fans.

Asif
Oct 11, 2013 12:25am

I always felt that there was only one legend, Sir Don Bredman. His career avg of 99.94 was unbelievable and phenomenal. I was always resisting myself to believe that there could be any other legend even when Sachin was shining like a star. I was thinking he was a cricket genius like Wasim, Imran, Border, Lara, Dhoni, Wiv or Steve but not in the league of Bredman. My perseption about him changed completely when he made 200 runs in one day match. I never thought 200 runs can be made in an enning and that to by a narvous 90 like Sachin. After that match If Sachin played well or not I always respected him like an undisputed legend. It is said that every record is made to be broken; I hope I can see someone breaking all his records single handedly in my lifespan :) to bring cricket even higher. By looking around, it saddens me that my hope does not seem anywhere near to be full-filled...!!! Live long cricket...

bikram singh
Oct 11, 2013 12:25am

once upon a time :-(

Pankaj
Oct 11, 2013 01:15am

When someone becomes GOD he is not bounded by human boundaries... Like country religion etc

Deepak
Oct 11, 2013 01:23am

In T20 he scored 31 against South Africa, 10 is incorrect in your numbers section.

Dr Dang
Oct 11, 2013 01:44am

Tendulkar > Lara + Ponting + Anwar + Kallis

A Shah
Oct 11, 2013 02:01am

Just glad I am alive as the same time as this man to enjoy his unique skills. Pakistan salutes you sir!

Yousuf
Oct 11, 2013 03:11am

@Rehmat: Amir who?

Nasser
Oct 11, 2013 04:08am

Pakistan salutes a legend extraordinaire.

Sami
Oct 11, 2013 06:30am

He got the retirement totally wrong. Going now when even his fans are secretly saying "about time"

Tirang
Oct 11, 2013 07:41am

@Rehmat:

Totally agree. Aamir Sohail was far better than Tendulkar.... in losing matches from winning positions due to "Ego and Rashness". Remember India vs Pak Bangalore Q/F versus Venkatesh Prasad. Off stump flying :-) Aamir Sohail solely responsible for Pak losing that game after a great start. That sums up the difference between an Ordinary and Extraordinary cricketer."Temperament".

Aaman
Oct 11, 2013 07:44am

@Aaman: Awesome lines bro!

Bong
Oct 11, 2013 07:41am

@ Rehmat : Ridiculous opinion...not based on any facts. It is OK though...all achievers have had their detractors.

Bivin
Oct 11, 2013 07:51am

It Was indeed a pleasure to watch and see this character battle On the field, indeed we may or may not have some body to match up to his stature, all the likes of great players around this indeed is exceptional talent and god gift. A humblest of humble person on and off the field, and what more you can ask for, even i read some body posting sir don bradmans comments,that was awesome Sir Don Bradman(AUS) "Do Your Crime When Sachin Is Batting, Because Even God Is Busy Watching His Batting, Sir The God of the Game cricket, We all Salute you Sir. Thanks for the visual delight that you had given us.

karamat
Oct 11, 2013 08:24am

@Rehmat: aaamir sohail ? who ?

Shafqat satti
Oct 11, 2013 08:51am

Don't pay any attention to people like Rehmat , I think he just wanted to get some attention and I guess he did. Just put thumbs down so he realize he does not know shit about cricket. Adios Tendulkar may be you can be a batsman coach for Pakistan one day

ThirdEYE
Oct 11, 2013 08:51am

@vishal mahajan: True cricket fan loves the game first.....everything second

Rizwan Arain
Oct 11, 2013 09:00am

Despite indo-pk issues, I must say not in near future we be able to see great player like the little master.

Aaron
Oct 11, 2013 09:26am

@Rehmat: 400 dislikes and counting. You too have created a record man.

RAVNEET SOHI
Oct 11, 2013 09:32am

Sachin Tendulkar fielded for ?#Pakistan? as a substitute during a one-day practice match against India at the Brabourne in 1988.

40 facts about Sachin you didn't know.

Patriotic Anonymus
Oct 11, 2013 09:40am

@ Vishal "A true Pakistani is and will always admire a gem like Sachin" We have great respect for people like Sachin, Dravid and Dhoni and there are many admirers for them which you can't think of. Only advise to all Indian cricket fans that take game of Cricket as a game only and appreciate all good performances equally like you guys do while watching IPL" I fail to understand as to why whole Eden Garden goes stand still? For God sake, play this game with a bigger heart. After all it's a game of Gentleman!

Afrooz
Oct 11, 2013 09:40am

@Rehmat: Most Matches in Odi :463 Most Matches in Test :198 Most runs in Test :15837 runs Most runs in ODI :18426 runs Most Fours in odi :2016 fours Most Fours in test :2044 Fours Most 150+ scores in odi :5 Most 150+ scores in test :20 Most hundreds by a batsman in Test:51 hundreds Most Hundreds by a batsman in ODI :49 hundreds Most Ninties in Odi :18 Most Ninties in Test :10 Most fifties by a batsman in Test :67 Most fifties by a batsman in ODI :96 Most Man of Match in odi :62 Most Man of series in odi :15 Most Balls Faced in odi :21367 Most ODI runs in a calendar year :1,894 ODI runs in 1998. Most centuries in a calendar year :9 ODI centuries in 1998. Most runs scored by a batsman in ODI tournament finals: Tendulkar 1851, Most centuries hit by a batsman in ODI tournament Finals: Tendulkar (6 ton) Most Runs in world cup :2278 Most Runs in single world cup :673 Runs in 2003 world cup Most Hundreds in world cup :6 Most fifties in world cup :15 Most successful batsman in wins :(11157 runs in 234 matches) Most successful batsman in chases :(5490 runs in 127 matches)

Had enough?? Still think Sohail is better?

sachin
Oct 11, 2013 10:59am

The coming generations will be proud to believe that such a man ever in flesh and blood played on the surface of this earth !! His records will last for decades and i don't see anyone coming even close to it.

Ali Vaqar Awan
Oct 11, 2013 10:56am

Its sad to see Sachin Tendulkar, one of the greatest legends retiring. However, there is a time when player has to retire as they can't play forever. He played many great innings. At will he would defend well and also attack well. It was great pleasure to see him play attacking shots. Sachin has achieved many great milestones in cricket. His record will be an uphill task to break. Hats off to Tendulkar for giving us unique and entertaining innings.

Zorba The Buddha
Oct 11, 2013 11:52am

@Rehmat: ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa. only thing i remember about Sohail is his debacle against V. Prasad

R Khatana
Oct 11, 2013 11:59am

@Rehmat: Pakistan have far better player thn Amir Sohail so your cricket knowledge is not good enough.

Cosmic Lion
Oct 11, 2013 12:06pm

Sachin should have retired after world cup. No test match hundreds in two years is sub par.The tragedy is Sachin played in a team which simply did not have quality fast bowlers to win test matches overseas. Only if the two W's played for India. In the first half of his career, he played in a team full of mediocre and hopeless players. Worst tail end players ever starting from Nayan Mongia. One could not trust these players making 20 runs together. Sachin from year 1999 suffered from all kinds of Injuries. Yet he revented himself and still scored runs and had a decent team to compete in ODI's.

rjk
Oct 11, 2013 12:28pm

we see his cricket only ,but we frequently forget to observe his character...A person has reached in the sky-high,but he has not forgotten his root..He has never criticized any person better or worser than him....he has no arrogance ........this is why he is so successful..A perfect balance between his daily life and cricket....so he is now not just a cricketer but in this society where social conscience is decreasing he shows us how to live in this society in a better way...............................we miss u all.................

Cricket Fan
Oct 11, 2013 02:15pm

Before an era of Sachin Tendulkar India had only Sunil Gawaskar as renowned batsman but after Sachin Tendulkar the world will see many renowned batsman in Indian Cricket lineup. Nobody could doubt that Sachin has successfully created a following in subcontinent specially in India with his charismatic batting abilities just like Pakistan has in fast bowling due to Imran, Wasim, Waqar & Shoaib Akhtar. I wonder if we could make a team comprising of Indian Batsman and Pakistani Bowlers that would be unbeatable all time.

cs bhatia
Oct 11, 2013 02:35pm

you have been a great entertainer saching bhai. I thank all Pakistani brothers for their love towards Sachin, when wasim bhai got retired I was also little upset.

cs bhatia
Oct 11, 2013 02:33pm

@vishal mahajan: why u think its strange, when I can love wasim akram, why cant they love Sachin.

vipin
Oct 11, 2013 02:50pm

Time magazine's quote on Sachin Tendulkar in 2011: "When Sachin Tendulkar travelled to Pakistan to face one of the finest bowling attacks ever assembled in cricket, Michael Schumacher was yet to race a F1 car, Lance Armstrong had never been to the Tour de France, Diego Maradona was still the captain of a world champion Argentina team, Pete Sampras had never won a Grand Slam. When Tendulkar embarked on a glorious career taming Imran and company, Roger Federer was a name unheard of; Lionel Messi was in his nappies, Usain Bolt was an unknown kid in the Jamaican backwaters. The Berlin Wall was still intact, USSR was one big, big country, Dr Manmohan Singh was yet to "open" the Nehruvian economy. It seems while Time was having his toll on every individual on the face of this planet, he excused one man. Time stands frozen in front of Sachin Tendulkar. We have had champions, we have had legends, but we have never had another Sachin Tendulkar and we never will."

Lovelife
Oct 11, 2013 02:45pm

@Rehmat: Haha... In the exact same way as sohail tanvir is better than wasim akram..

vipin
Oct 11, 2013 02:53pm

"Beneath the helmet, under that unruly curly hair, inside the cranium, there is something we don't know, something beyond scientific measure. Something that allows him to soar, to roam a territory of sport that, forget us, even those who are gifted enough to play alongside him cannot even fathom. When he goes out to bat, people switch on their television sets and switch off their lives- BBC Sports, on Sachin Tendulkar."

Read more at:

fidasayani
Oct 11, 2013 03:30pm

@Rehmat: shame on you. Personally I never considered sachin a Little Master, the real one was Hanif Mohammad, who without helmet, paddings played against one of the fastest bowlers of the cricket world. But even to equate Sohail with Sachin is a blasphemy.

Shri
Oct 11, 2013 04:06pm

Sachin......Kumble......Kapil......Zahir Abbas......Jayasurya.......Ranatunga.......Wasim......Waqar......Saqlain. Hard to watch cricket without them! With Sachin, countless Indians, Pakistanis and Sri Lankans have lost the last thread to their childhood and teenage! Guys, all these great men were there when we spepped into adolescence and later into manhood! Dunno how to react! Adios to the master! And thanks to all others mentioned here for a memorable life!

Faisal
Oct 11, 2013 04:53pm

Best of the very best. Salute.

dany
Oct 11, 2013 05:37pm

GONNA MISS YOU....... have a bright future after retirement.... hope you do something related to media.. so that i can see your face daily or occationally.....

kdp
Oct 11, 2013 07:26pm

All kind of records can be broken if one is allowed to play for 25 years. In other sports player is out if he/she does not perform in few consecutive games or seasons. Sachin was selected and allowed to play for test series even if he was in what cricket crowd calls "Form" in previous games. If a cricket player does not perform he is simply in not "Form" let him play few more seasons he would be back in "Form".

GD
Oct 11, 2013 09:50pm

@Shafqat satti:But he wanted to make his own record and he made it. I mean Rehmat. See dislikes. Why should I give him that pleasure?

Hyder Ali
Oct 11, 2013 09:48pm

Sir,

As a cricket fan I still remember a young Sachin Tendulkar dancing down the wicket and hitting then leg spin wizard Abdul Qadir for a handful of sixes in his first ever international tour.

Since then it was one way traffic with Sachin Tendulkar piling on runs against any bowling attack. It is pity he did not play against the two W's in proper test series when they all were in their prime due to politics otherwise we would have had a great takra to recall but even then his duel with shane warne and Muralitharan was awesome with him toying their bowling.

Surely cricket is going to miss another litter master and a true ambassador.

Regards,

Hyder Ali

Naren
Oct 11, 2013 09:58pm

@Rehmat: Thank you Bhai Saab, you made me laugh on very bad working day.

Hehe
Oct 11, 2013 10:02pm

@dr dang mongia > sachin :D

Anand
Oct 11, 2013 11:14pm

@Robinson J: I have a small correction

M. Muralidharan was a legendary spin bowler. Greatest Captains, Steve Wagh and MS Dhoni (to be added).

Madhu
Oct 11, 2013 11:17pm

@Rehmat: See, Just by thinking Sachin's name, you got more than 500 people's attention. That's Sachin's Credibility

Hehe
Oct 12, 2013 01:03am

Only Mongia could replace a player like him.

vbv
Oct 12, 2013 03:40am

As all good things come to an end, so is the fine inning of Sachin, Man will not be seen in whites any more..

Ahmer
Oct 12, 2013 04:42am

Too much of hype. If he was that great, why had he been avoiding playing with Pakistan on one pretext or another for so many years?

tonall
Oct 12, 2013 02:54pm

@Shafqat satti:

I am going to be provocative, let there be a debate: If T. had faced the deadly West Indians like Hall and Gilchrist then we could compare him to the greatest batsman in criket history - Bradman, who faced bodyline bowling. Sachin was good dealing with spin and medium fast. He couldn't even deal with seamers like Anderson, Broad and Trott in English conditons on the last England test match tour.

Muhammad Mohiuddin Wajid
Oct 12, 2013 03:22pm

@Rehmat: Thank you very much for making me lough. I was really having tough times in office.

Sachin will be surely missed as long as the cricket remains alive in this planet.

From a Pakistani.

jinnah
Oct 12, 2013 04:01pm

sachin tendulkar wasn't a match winner

viki
Oct 12, 2013 05:03pm

@Shri: ranatunga....u must be kidding

Praveen
Oct 12, 2013 11:09pm

@Rehmat: 568 downs and counting.... So now, you also have one world record on your name.... Congrats....

Rohit
Oct 13, 2013 03:32am

I have seen Tendulkar bat... Yay!!! Not everyone gonna see that..

Satish
Oct 13, 2013 06:46pm

Just see the comments.... there are equal admirers of Sachin in Pakistan also as there are many admirers of Wasim Akram in India..... even than there are confronting positions in both countries..... similarity and same times differences. Just see the effect of the same on progress of both countries

S. Roy
Oct 14, 2013 07:48am

@Rehmat: Wonder why and how you garnered 600 nays and counting??

Bong
Oct 14, 2013 10:58am

@Jinnah - your comment " Tendulkar wasnt a match winner" - prove it ? Do you have any figures to support your claim?

Bong
Oct 14, 2013 11:14am

@ Tonall - Your memory is short. During most of ST's time Australia had the best bowling side which included the best fast bowlers...lets look at his record...20 test matches at an average of 53.20 (in away macthes) . I hope you have an idea about the bouncy tracks in Gabba & Adelaide Oval. Now lets look at away matches against England . 17 matches at an average of 54.31. Well ....any inferences ?