KABUL, Aug 17: Two Afghan security personnel opened fire on western colleagues on Friday, killing two US soldiers and causing a number of other casualties in two separate attacks, the military said.
US concern is mounting of the unprecedented number of such “green-on-blue” attacks, which have now killed 39 international troops in 29 such incidents so far this year, according to Nato figures.
Friday's attacks will further erode trust between foreign troops and the Afghans they work with, a week after six American troops were killed in a single day by their local colleagues. The two Americans were killed in western Farah province, Nato’s US-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said.
“A member of the Afghan Local Police turned his weapon against two USFOR-A service members. The attacker was shot and killed.” Just hours later, ISAF confirmed that “a number” of foreign and Afghan soldiers were shot and wounded by an Afghan soldier in the southern province of Kandahar.
“The attacker was shot and later died of his wounds in the hospital,” a spokesman said, without providing any further details. Local officials said two Americans and one Afghan soldier were wounded.—AFP