War returns to Iran with Israel, US strikes
Show Summary
  • The US and Israel on Feb 28 launched what they described as a “pre-emptive” joint strike against Iranian targets, with Trump announcing start of “major combat operations”
  • Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei was assassinated in US-Israeli strikes; Mojtaba Khamenei replaced his father as Iran’s new supreme leader
  • Iran, US agreed to a two-week ceasefire on April 8; the truce was later extended indefinitely and remains in place
  • Pakistan hosted the first round of face-to-face talks between the US and Iran in 47 years in April; the talks ended without a breakthrough, but also without a breakdown
  • Pakistan continues to push for diplomatic solution
  • Iran warns of “new fronts against the US, allies after Trump threatens renewed attacks on Tehran
Published 23 May, 2026 05:44pm

Congressional report details losses of 42 US aircraft in Iran campaign

A recent report by the Congressional Research Service (CRS) says the United States lost or damaged 42 military aircraft during Operation Epic Fury, the 40-day military campaign against Iran that began on February 28, 2026.

The report, released last week and circulated by several US media outlets on Friday, is believed to be the most detailed public accounting so far of US aircraft losses in the conflict. However, the Pentagon has not yet issued its own comprehensive assessment.

In the report, CRS researchers said they compiled the figures from news reports, official Pentagon statements, and announcements by US Central Command (Centcom).

The report notes that the Department of Defence — now also using the title “Department of War” under an executive order issued in September 2025 — has not publicly provided a full list of losses from the campaign.

Read more here

Published 23 May, 2026 05:22pm

Israeli military issues forced displacement orders for residents of 11 south Lebanon towns

The Israeli military issued a displacement demand for residents of nearly a dozen towns and villages in southern Lebanon, Al Jazeera reports.

The order, which covered 11 locations including Al-Nabatieh al-Tahta, Kafr Tibnit, Zibdine, Arab Salim, Kafr Reman, Habboush, Blat, Deir Qanun al-Nahr, Harouf and Jibshit, instructed residents to evacuate their homes immediately and move to open areas at least 1,000 meters away.

Published 23 May, 2026 04:52pm

Hospital in south Lebanon damaged as Israel keeps up strikes

Israel kept up strikes on Lebanon today, hours after overnight raids on the country’s south and east, including one that damaged a hospital, its chief executive tells AFP.

Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported Israeli airstrikes on around a dozen locations in the south, including one targeting an agricultural area, “wounding several Syrian workers”.

The NNA said an overnight strike in the southern city of Tyre that targeted a site near the hospital caused “severe damage” to the facility.

An AFP correspondent saw shattered glass, ceiling panels blown out and damaged medical equipment at the multi-storey Hiram hospital.

Published 23 May, 2026 04:20pm

Iran football federation denies visa rejection for three players before World Cup

Iran’s football federation has denied reports that three national team players have had their US visa applications rejected for the 2026 World Cup, Al Jazeera reports.

The federation said in a statement published by the Tasnim news agency that claims regarding the rejection of visas for defenders Shoja Khalilzadeh and Ehsan Hajsafi, as well as forward Mehdi Taremi, were “false”, adding that the administrative process for obtaining visas had been carried out according to procedure.

First vice president of Iran’s Football Federation, Mahdi Mohammadnabi, addresses the media during a training session at the Iranian team’s base camp in Antalya on May 19, 2026. —AFP
First vice president of Iran’s Football Federation, Mahdi Mohammadnabi, addresses the media during a training session at the Iranian team’s base camp in Antalya on May 19, 2026. —AFP
Published 23 May, 2026 04:07pm

Mohsin Naqvi meets Iranian agriculture minister in Tehran to boost trade ties

Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi met Iran’s Minister of Agriculture Gholamreza Nouri Ghezeljeh, in Tehran, Pakistan TV reports.

“Both sides emphasised the need to accelerate agreements in the agricultural sector and to facilitate the transport of essential commodities,” it added.

They also highlighted shared opportunities in agriculture and livestock trade between the two countries.

Published 23 May, 2026 03:58pm

At least 25 ships have passed through Strait of Hormuz: IRGC Navy

The IRGC’s navy has said at least 25 ships have passed through the Strait of Hormuz, Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency reports.

“In the past 24 hours, 25 ships, including oil tankers, container ships, and other commercial vessels, passed through the Strait of Hormuz after obtaining permission with the coordination and security of the IRGC Navy,” the IRGC said in a statement.

Only a handful of vessels can be seen crossing the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Oman. —Reuters/File
Only a handful of vessels can be seen crossing the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Oman. —Reuters/File

Updated 23 May, 2026 04:14pm

US naval blockade against Iran ‘illegal’, amounts to ‘war crime’: envoy

Iran’s ambassador and permanent representative to the UN office in Geneva, Ali Bahraini, has warned against the humanitarian impact of the “illegal” US naval blockade against the Islamic Republic, stressing that it constitutes “a war crime,” PressTV reports.

He stressed that this “unilateral naval blockade”, which is being imposed within the framework of unilateral coercive measures and as part of an ongoing pressure campaign against Iran, has had widespread humanitarian impact.

Published 23 May, 2026 03:27pm

RECAP: Araghchi's phone call spree since last night on Middle East situation

Diplomatic channels have seen intensified activity since last night as Iran’s foreign minister has spoken to various counterparts and other officials to discuss the “regional situation”.

Some of the leaders Iran’s FM Abbas Araghchi has held phone calls with are:

  • UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres
  • Qatar’s PM and FM Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani
  • Turkiye’s FM Hakan Fidan
  • Oman’s FM Badr Albusaidi
  • Iraq’s FM Fuad Hussein
  • Japan’s FM Toshimitsu Motegi
  • President of Iraq’s Kurdistan Region Nechirvan Barzani

A phone call on the US-Iran war was also held between Jordanian FM Ayman Safadi and Qatar’s FM Sheikh Mohammed.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi attends a press conference at the Iranian embassy in New Delhi, India on May 15, 2026. — Reuters/File
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi attends a press conference at the Iranian embassy in New Delhi, India on May 15, 2026. — Reuters/File
Published 23 May, 2026 03:12pm

India looking to buy oil from US amid Strait of Hormuz crisis: analyst

Sumit Ritolia, lead energy analyst at business analytics platform Kpler, tells Al Jazeera that India is looking to buy more oil from the United States amid the Strait of Hormuz crisis.

He said the US “has the capacity to increase oil and gas exports to India, but it’s not enough to replace Middle East supplies”.

Ritolia added that India’s Russian oil exports have also increased in volume.

Published 23 May, 2026 02:56pm

In call with Araghchi, Qatar PM urges engagement, warns against closing Strait of Hormuz

Qatar’s PM and FM Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani has held a phone call with Iran’s FM Abbas Araghchi, Qatar’s state media reports.

Qatar News Agency reported that the discussions during the call “focused on ongoing efforts to achieve peace and reinforce regional security and stability”.

Al Thani reaffirmed Qatar’s “unwavering support for efforts aimed at reaching a comprehensive agreement to end the crisis, stressing the need for all parties to engage constructively in order to secure sustainable peace and enduring stability in the region”.

At the same time, the Qatari PM stressed that freedom of navigation remains a fundamental principle that cannot be compromised, warning that any closure of the Strait of Hormuz or attempts to use it as a means of pressure would further deepen the crisis.

Published 23 May, 2026 02:41pm

Jordan, Qatar FMs discuss regional situation, Pakistan's mediation efforts in US-Iran war

Jordanian Deputy PM and FM Ayman Safadi received a phone call last evening from Qatar’s PM and FM Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani, the Jordanian foreign ministry says.

The two ministers “discussed ways to support cooperation relations between the Kingdom and Qatar, regional situations, and reviewed Pakistan’s mediation efforts” between the US and Iran, the statement said.

Both FMs “affirmed the continuation of coordination of efforts to support targeted mediation aimed at ending the escalation in the region and restoring security and stability”.

They stress the need for united efforts to “succeed in mediation efforts to reach a sustainable solution that addresses all roots of the crisis and prevents the renewal of escalation”.

Published 23 May, 2026 02:29pm

Trump has no choice but to accept Iranian demands, says defence ministry spokesman

Iran’s Defence Ministry spokesman Reza Talaei-Nik has said that Washington’s failure to comply with Iran’s “rights” as a country will lead to “more defeats” for US President Donald Trump, Al Jazeera reports.

“The only way out of the third imposed war for the American-Zionist enemy, on both the battlefield and in diplomacy, is to secure the demands of the Iranian people,” Talaei-Nik told the Tasnim news agency.

“While accepting Iran’s proposal, Trump should also be mindful of preventing further losses and costs in the continuation of the war for the American people and the international community,” he added.

Published 23 May, 2026 01:35pm

British journalist Piers Morgan urges Trump against another attack on Iran

British broadcaster and journalist Piers Morgan has urged US President Donald Trump to refrain from launching “another huge attack” on Iran, in a post on X. Morgan wrote that an attack seems imminent.

“This war’s been damaging enough without yet more mayhem being unleashed.”

Published 23 May, 2026 01:29pm

UN chief ‘disappointed’ as nuclear non-proliferation talks end without agreement

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has expressed disappointment after the 11th Review Conference of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty ended without consensus, calling it a missed opportunity to make the world safer, Al Jazeera reports.

In a statement delivered by his spokesman, Stephane Dujarric, Guterres said he welcomed the engagement of member states but regretted that the conference fell short, “especially at a time of such pressing challenges that threaten international security”.

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’s second term begins on January 1, 2022. — Reuters/File
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’s second term begins on January 1, 2022. — Reuters/File
Published 23 May, 2026 12:45pm

First Japanese-managed oil tanker to transit Hormuz due to reach port

The first oil tanker managed by Japan to successfully transit the Strait of Hormuz since the blockade is expected to dock in the country shortly, Al Jazeera reports, citing Japan’s NHK broadcaster.

The Panama-flagged Idemitsu Maru is due to arrive at a refining facility in Japan’s Aichi Prefecture on Monday. It is carrying some 2 million barrels of Saudi Arabian crude oil, NHK reported.

 Screengrab from MarineTraffic.
Screengrab from MarineTraffic.
Published 23 May, 2026 12:30pm

Iran FM, Iraqi Kurdish leader discuss bilateral ties, regional developments

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and the president of Iraq’s Kurdistan Region, Nechirvan Barzani, have held a phone conversation to discuss issues of mutual interest, IRNA reports.

The discussions centred on enhancing bilateral relations between Iran and the Iraqi Kurdistan Region.

Both leaders also exchanged views on broader regional developments, stressing the vital importance of regional countries working together to bolster homegrown security.