Dr Khan not involved: Faisal

Published January 30, 2004

ISLAMABAD, Jan 29: Interior Minister Makhdoom Faisal Saleh Hayat said on Thursday that Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan was not involved in nuclear proliferation. In an interview with the Voice of America (VOA) and a private TV channel , the interior minister said the government had not taken Dr Khan into custody and he was a completely free man.

"There is no doubt that Dr A Q Khan is considered to be the father of Pakistan's nuclear programme and his services have been most prominent and highly appreciated. That is the reason his name is springing up frequently in the news with present situation," Mr Hayat said. However, the minister said he was confident if his cooperation was required to clear or explain any confusion or doubts he would not hesitate to come forward and help the government in this matter.

"He is in charge of the whole programme. So, I am sure if his help was sought to clear any point at any stage, he will not hesitate in helping the government. So far he has not been asked anything."

The minister said there were thousands of scientists engaged in Pakistan's nuclear programme but only a few had been called for debriefing. "It is not like that if everybody is involved in this," Mr Hayat pointed out. He said when investigations into any matter started, it kicked a process in which all possible links were explored to make the situation clear. "It does not mean that anybody who has been or being debriefed is a suspect," he said.

He made it clear that the government was determined to go into the depth of the matter and find the truth in the allegations being levelled against Pakistan.

"We want to confirm that who are the people who have brought bad name to the country. In the process it is quite possible that those people who are in power today may also be asked to come and answer certain questions to make their positions clear," Mr Hayat said in the interview.

He categorically said that the name of Dr Qadeer Khan had not been put on the 'Exit Control List' (ECL) by the government. However, he conceded, names of a few other scientists had been put on the ECL who are being debriefed.

Answering a question, the minister said as these investigations had been initiated in response to the information provided by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), so the outcome of the on-going debriefing sessions was being conveyed to the Agency.

"The probe into allegations of transferring nuclear technology or its know-how to Iran and Libya was underway and no final conclusion has been drawn as yet," Mr Hayat said.

He said the government was keen to ascertain the factors which made them indulge in such activities, if at all they have transferred nuclear technology to any other person or persons.

"We would like to know whether it is only greed that motivated this person or persons to indulge in this activity. At the same time we will not overlook the sense of patriotism among our scientists which is far more important. The people engaged in country's nuclear programme have boosted the respect and dignity of the country and made the whole nation proud of them," the minister said.

Answering a question the minister said if any of these scientists was found involved in the transfer of nuclear technology to any person or persons he would be prosecuted under the law of the land.