KARACHI, Oct 19: Sindh Governor Dr Ishratul Ibad inspected security arrangements at shopping centres in different areas of the city on Wednesday night.
During the three-hour visit, he was accompanied by Home Adviser Waseem Akhtar, City Nazim Syed Mustafa Kamal, IG Sindh Jehangir Mirza, CCPO Niaz Ahmed Siddiqi, DIG Operation, DIG Traffic, DCO besides senior officials.
In North Nazimabad, the governor inquired from people busy in shopping at Hyderi market about their problems. He also visited police reporting centre and inquired about market situation.
He also drove to Tariq Road shopping centres and appreciated the measures taken by police, particularly establishment of reporting centre and police post,
About street crimes, he said that the organised network involved would soon be broken through coordinated efforts of home department, police and intelligence. He said that jamming system for stolen mobile phones had become fully functional. He said that though some criminal minded elements were developing software to sneak into the system, it was not that easy as stolen cellular telephones would be made fully inoperative with the help of modern technology and assistance of technical experts.
He said the elements involved in such acts would be weeded out with the cooperation of all the departments. He said that due to government efforts, the crime graph was declining and a clear example to this was the growing activities in shopping centres where people were busy in shopping without any fear.
The governor later drove through National Stadium Road, Nazimabad, Nagan Chowrangi, Saddar and inspected under-construction National Stadium Flyover and Nazimabad, Liaquatabad and Gharibabad underpasses.
Earlier on Wednesday, the governor visited Bagh Ibn-i-Qasim, the mausoleum of Abdullah Shah Ghazi, Shireen Jinnah Colony and Nehr-i-Khayyam to inspect the sewerage disposal and development works.
At Bag Ibn-i-Qasim, the EDO Parks was directed to complete the work by the mid of November.
He showed displeasure over slow pace of work at development works around the shrine of Abdullah Shah Ghazi and called for gearing up the work. He directed that criminal elements be eliminated from around the shrine and those be taken to task who caused desecration of mausoleum.
In Shireen Jinnah Colony, he directed DIG Traffic to immediately remove tankers and trailers from the area and ensure smooth traffic flow.
He directed that work on cleaning of Nahr-i-Khayyam canal and sewerage disposal should be carried out on permanent basis. During inspection of banks of the canal, he asked MD KWSB that its construction works should be completed at the earliest.
Talking to journalists, the governor said that all the departments had been alerted in view of situation caused by dengue virus. He said the health department, in particular, needed coordination with all the departments and should educate people in this regard.
He asked people to take all preventive measures against dengue virus as this mosquito was bred in stagnant clean water. He noted that besides government, the private hospitals too were doing a good job in coping with the situation.—APP