RIYADH: A Saudi who allegedly helped a non-Muslim enter Makkah has been arrested, police said on Friday, after online backlash against an Israeli journalist.

The journalist, Gil Tam­ary of Israel’s Channel 13, on Monday posted to Twitter video of himself sneaking into Makkah in defiance of a ban on non-Muslims.

Saudi police have “referred a citizen” to prosecutors for alleged complicity in “transferring and facilitating the entry of a (non-Muslim) journalist”, a police spokesperson said in comments reported by the official Saudi Press Agency.

The agency did not name the journalist, but said he is an American citizen, whose case has been referred to prosecutors “to take the necessary procedures against him in accordance with the applied laws”.

Despite growing behind-the-scenes business and security contacts, Saudi Arabia does not recognise Israel and did not join the 2020 US-brokered Abraham Accords that saw the Jewish state establish ties with the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain.

In his roughly 10-minute clip, Tamary visits Mount Arafat, where Muslim pilgrims gather to pray during the climax of the Haj.

He makes clear he knows that what he’s doing is outlawed, but says he wanted to showcase “a place that is so important to our Muslim brothers and sisters”.

Tamary’s justification, and subsequent apology, did little to quiet angry Saudi social media responses.

The controversy followed US President Joe Biden’s visit to both Israel and Saudi Arabia last week.

Published in Dawn, July 23rd, 2022