BAGRAM AIR BASE, Afghanistan, Nov 10: US forces have launched a fresh operation against anti-coalition forces in northeastern Afghanistan while the deputy governor of a southeastern province conceded that Afghan authorities have lost control of at least seven of the province’s districts.
The operation, termed ‘Mountain Resolve,’ began in Nuristan province after launching of an air strike on Nov 7, spokesman Col Rodney Davis told journalists at the Bagram Air Base, some 50 kilometres north of Kabul.
“The purpose of (the) operation ... is to destroy and disrupt anti-coalition forces and deny sanctuary to them,” he said.
Troops from the US 10th Mountain Division, Special Operations Forces and air forces were taking part in the operation in the remote and “tough terrain,” bordering Pakistan’s Chitral district.
Nuristan intelligence official Syed Omar said that US troops had been deployed at Want and Watapo in central Nuristan’s Waigal valley, 170 kilometres northeast of Kabul.
Hekmatyar is believed to have formed a loose alliance with Taliban and Al Qaeda elements and his supporters have been blamed for attacks on international peacekeepers in Kabul.
Meanwhile, deputy governor of the southeastern Zabul province Mawlawi Mohammad Omar , said areas over which officials lost control, were being controlled by tribal chiefs and elders, rather than the resurgent Taliban forces.
“There is no government control over Atghar, Naw Bahar, Shinkay and Shamazai in the south of the province,” he said over satellite phone from the provincial capital Qalat.—AFP