KARACHI: Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Tuesday linked the release of confessions made by target killers involved in the violence in Karachi with a formal permission granted by the Supreme Court, DawnNews reported.
Mr Malik informed the media that more than 100 hit-men were arrested and all of them had admitted to their crimes.
He claimed that peace had fully been restored in the port city.
The interior minister said that an investigation team was going to be constituted to probe networks of banned outfits operating from jails.
He said that the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) had been directed to launch a countrywide operation to stop the use of mobile phones and internet service being provided illegally to the prisoners in different jails.
“There are reports that jail inmates are using these facilities in connivance with the jail authorities,” he added.
The interior minister also held a meeting with President Asif Ali Zardari at the Bilawal House.