PESHAWAR, June 21: The bombing of a police post at Matani Bazaar on Monday was result of sheer negligence by policemen concerned, according to investigators.
They said that militants had already threatened to attack the post and even fixed time for their action but police didn't take the threats seriously. The policemen deployed in the area were sitting carelessly along a roadside at the time of blast, they added.
At least three persons were killed and seven others injured in the blast.
They said that Ijaz Hussain Bacha, who had recently joined community police as a constable, was on the hit list of militants. He had given his hujra to police for setting up a temporary post.Despite receiving threats from militants, Mr Bacha, who was also killed in the blast, had not adopted security measures. “Militants had pasted posters in the area against policeman but he used to keep the main gate of the post open,” investigators said.
They said that policemen also failed to chase the militant, who left the explosive-laden motorcar at the post and fled away before the blast.
An official of Rural Circle said that efforts were made to arrest the accused involved in the bombing and search operation was continued in the area.
He said that Mr Bacha was also leading a newly formed peace body and urging people to join hands with him against militants. The Adezai Qaumi Lashkar deputy head, Fazal Malik, told Dawn that he had information about a possible attack. “I also shared the information with relevant officials,” he said.
He added that the post was located at a sensitive place and the law-enforcers were bound to remain alert round the clock. “We are comparatively safe nowadays but even then our volunteers are performing night duties,” he said.
Meanwhile, police have charged several militants in the case including Jangrez, Ruhullah Amin, Aurangzeb, Alamgir, Mustafa, Akbar Shah, Irfan, Alamgir, Zakir, Shahkir. All of them belong to Matani and Adezai villages. Sources said that that the accused had fled to tribal region about three years ago and carried out sabotage activities in the area.
An official said that raids were conducted but no militant was arrested so far. The accused have already been charged in several bomb blasts cases but they could not be arrested.Similarly, Sarband police have also named about 12 persons for an attack on Riaz Shaheed police post.
A source said that those charged in the FIR included Shah, Gul Wali, Janas, Rameez, Mohammad Hussain, Qari Hidayat, Said Noor, Tariq, Shafiullah, Tila and Naseeb Gul. SHO Abid Khan, when contacted, said that the accused were associated with the Khyber Agency-based militant group and most of them lived in Bara tehsil of the agency.