21 killed in Siberia blast

Published February 10, 2005

MOSCOW, Feb 9: A methane blast in a coal mine in southern Siberia killed 21 people on Wednesday with four others missing, presumed to be still trapped underground, the Russian emergencies ministry said.

Local rescue officials quoted by news agencies had earlier reported that 17 miners - including rescue personnel - were killed in the mine in Kuzbass, with nine others missing. But the death toll climbed as more bodies were recovered from the scene, a spokesman for the emergencies ministry in Moscow said. Four people were injured, one of whom was hospitalized.

Over 30 miners and rescuers were underground at the time of the blast, walling off the mine's old shafts. A fire had broken out on Tuesday in the mine, which explained the presence of rescue personnel. Russia's coal mining industry is largely unprofitable, suffering from chronic under funding and notoriously accident-prone.-AFP

Opinion

Editorial

Some progress
Updated 24 May, 2026

Some progress

Pakistan deserves credit for helping preserve diplomatic space, but also must avoid appearing aligned with coercive pressure from any side.
Chinese market
24 May, 2026

Chinese market

PRIME Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s trip to China presents an opportunity to rebalance Pakistan’s economic...
Harvesting humans
24 May, 2026

Harvesting humans

ORGAN brokers have for too long preyed on desperation to rake it in. The odious trade — among the most harmful...
More stabilisation
Updated 23 May, 2026

More stabilisation

The stabilisation achieved through painful growth compression steps could have been used as a platform for structural reforms.
Appalling tactics
23 May, 2026

Appalling tactics

IN Punjab, an encounter with the law can quickly turn deadly. Encouraged by a culture of ‘shoot first, ask...
Failed experiment
23 May, 2026

Failed experiment

IT is going from bad to worse for Shan Masood and Pakistan. It is now seven successive Test defeats away from home;...