SWAT: A large public gathering held at Nishat Chowk in Mingora on Friday demanded strict action against drug dealers, urging the government to treat them as terrorists and eliminate the growing drug menace in Swat.
The protest was organised by local organisations, Tanzeem Sama Lar and Babozai Qaumi Taroon Jirga, in response to the increasing sale and use of narcotics in the region.
The speakers expressed concern over the widespread availability of drugs, including heroin and crystal meth (ice), in Swat. They alleged that drug dealers were operating openly in different areas and accused law enforcement agencies of failing to take effective action against them.
“We do not understand why the supply of narcotics continues in Swat and spreads from one area to another,” the speakers said. “Drug dealers are selling drugs openly, yet the authorities appear unable to stop them.”
The speakers emphasised that the protest was not politically motivated but aimed solely at protecting society, particularly the younger generation, from the devastating effects of narcotics. They warned that local communities would take collective action if the authorities failed to address the issue seriously.
The participants also criticised the influence of the drug mafia in certain sectors, claiming that criminals involved in narcotics often secured release after arrest.
The protesters called for an independent and transparent investigation into drug trafficking networks and demanded strict implementation of existing anti-narcotics laws.
EID DUTY: More than 600 staff members of the Water and Sanitation Services Company, Swat, will remain on duty during Eidul Azha to ensure uninterrupted sanitation and water supply services for residents across Mingora city.
According to the company spokesperson, Shaista Hakim, special arrangements for Eidul Azha were finalised during a meeting chaired by the chief executive officer of the organisation.
The meeting was informed that sanitation operations would continue without interruption throughout the three days of Eid, while the leaves of staff members had been cancelled to ensure timely cleanliness operations and the provision of essential municipal services.
Officials said more than 445 personnel, including sanitary workers, drivers and supervisors, will participate in the cleanliness operation in Mingora city. In addition, over 145 water supply staff and field personnel will remain on duty, while administrative staff will also remain present in offices.
Published in Dawn, May 24th, 2026





























