NEW DELHI: India’s top wrestlers decided to suspend their protests on Wednesday after the country’s sports minister promised a swift probe of their federation chief who has been accused of sexually harassing female athletes.

The wrestlers had been camping in New Delhi since April seeking arrest of Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, who has denied the allegations.

Last month the protest site was cleared and several wrestlers were briefly detained as they kept demanding action against Singh, who is also a powerful politician and a federal lawmaker.

Olympic medallist Bajrang Punia was part of the wrestling delegation that met Sports Minister Anurag Thakur at his residence on Wednesday, a meeting that lasted nearly six hours.

“The government has assured that they would complete the police investigations against Singh by June 15 so we have suspended protest till then,” said Punia, who won the men’s 65 kg freestyle bronze at the Tokyo Olympics.

Singh, a leader from Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ruling party and six-time MP has been accused of sexually assaulting seven female athletes, including a minor.

His lawyer rejected all the allegations levelled by the wrestlers and said Singh was cooperating with the police in the probe.

Olympic medallist Sakshi Malik, Asian Games champion Vinesh Phogat and Punia had to be talked out of plans to dump their medals in a river in protest on May 30.

“Those moments when we were dragged and roughed up by the police were deeply humiliating for all the wrestlers as all we want is justice for seven female victims of sexual abuse,” Punia said.

The rumbling protest and police action against the top athletes have shone a spotlight on government’s staggered pace in dealing with a criminal complaint against a member of their political party.

Sports Minister Thakur, who is also a member of Modi’s ruling party, said the police would file a chargesheet by June 15, and that the wrestlers had assured him they would refrain from any demonstration until then.

“They have asked us to complete the investigation and file the chargesheet by June 15, we will do that,” the minister told reporters.

United World Wrestling (UWW), the sport’s international governing body, issued a statement last week condemning detention of the wrestlers and criticising the “lack of results” in the investigations against Singh.

It has also threatened to suspend WFI if it fails to hold a fresh election this month.

Published in Dawn, June 8th, 2023

Opinion

Editorial

Some progress
Updated 24 May, 2026

Some progress

Pakistan deserves credit for helping preserve diplomatic space, but also must avoid appearing aligned with coercive pressure from any side.
Chinese market
24 May, 2026

Chinese market

PRIME Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s trip to China presents an opportunity to rebalance Pakistan’s economic...
Harvesting humans
24 May, 2026

Harvesting humans

ORGAN brokers have for too long preyed on desperation to rake it in. The odious trade — among the most harmful...
More stabilisation
Updated 23 May, 2026

More stabilisation

The stabilisation achieved through painful growth compression steps could have been used as a platform for structural reforms.
Appalling tactics
23 May, 2026

Appalling tactics

IN Punjab, an encounter with the law can quickly turn deadly. Encouraged by a culture of ‘shoot first, ask...
Failed experiment
23 May, 2026

Failed experiment

IT is going from bad to worse for Shan Masood and Pakistan. It is now seven successive Test defeats away from home;...