NEW DELHI:India’s pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah has begun his rehabilitation after undergoing successful back surgery in New Zealand, the country’s cricket board said on Saturday, with the focus now on the one-day World Cup.
The 29-year-old right-arm seamer has been sidelined since September and missed last year’s T20 World Cup in Australia and the ongoing Indian Premier League but the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said his operation last month“was successful and he remains pain-free”.
The fast bowler was advised by the specialist to start his rehab six weeks after the surgery and accordingly, Mr Bumrah has commenced his rehab management at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bengaluru from Friday,” it said in a statement.
Bumrah has reportedly been ruled out of the World Test Championship final against Australia in June but is expected to make the team for the one-day showpiece on home soil later this year.
Known for his ability to bowl toe-crushing full-length deliveries, Bumrah has claimed 319 wickets across all three international formats.
Indian batsman Shreyas Iyer, who has been ruled out of the IPL and the WTC final at The Oval, is scheduled to undergo surgery next week, also for a lower back injury that forced him to miss the Indian Premier League with his team the Kolkata Knight Riders.
He will remain under the surgeon’s care for two weeks and will return to the NCA after that for rehabilitation,” the BCCI said.
Published in Dawn, April 16th, 2023






























