QUETTA: Student organisations leading the protest sit-in against the disappearance of two students of Balochistan University agreed on Friday to restore educational activities in all institutions from Saturday for 15 days except the Balochistan University.

Leaders of the student organisations involved announced their decision after six rounds of talks with a committee headed by provincial Minister Sardar Abdul Rehman Khetran.

Speaking at a joint press conference, Mr Khetran, student leader Zubair Baloch and others announced that all universities of the province would restart classes from Saturday for 15 days as the government had assured recovery of the two missing students within 15 days.

However, they said that Balochistan University would remain closed till the recovery of the two missing students, Faseih Baloch and Sohail Baloch.

Sardar Khetran said the two students had gone missing on November 1, triggering a protest sit-in and causing closure of the Balochistan University, but as a result of several rounds of talks with leaders of the student organisations, the students had agreed to restore educational activities in all closed universities, except Balochistan University.

“We will make all possible efforts to trace two missing students Faseih Baloch and Sohail Baloch within 15 days,” Sardar Khetran said, adding that the governor and the chief minister had taken the issue seriously and in this connection all officials concerned would be taken on board.

Zubair Baloch of the Baloch Student Organisation said that protesting students had given 15 days to the parliamentary committee for the recovery of the missing students and during these 15 days all universities, except Balochistan University, would reopen and resume educational activities.

“We want an open educational environment to be created in the educational institutions for students so that they can study without any interference.”

Sardar Abdul Rehman Khetran said that after improvement in law and order situation in the province, check posts of security forces had been gradually reduced, but as was in the past, necessary police personnel would remain present at the check posts.

Published in Dawn, November 27th, 2021

Opinion

Editorial

Yemen atrocity
Updated 23 Jan, 2022

Yemen atrocity

The sooner this war is ended, the better, to halt the suffering of Yemen's people and ensure security of all regional states.
23 Jan, 2022

Regressive taxation

THE FBR appears to have kicked up a new and unnecessary controversy by serving notices on currency dealers to ...
23 Jan, 2022

Medico-legal flaws

ON Friday, a 13-page verdict authored by Justice Ali Zia Bajwa of the Lahore High Court revealed a shocking fact...
Updating the economy
22 Jan, 2022

Updating the economy

GDP rebasing doesn’t make countries or people richer; it is just about updated data for policymakers to make informed decisions.
22 Jan, 2022

Covid curbs

CONSIDERING the steep rise in Covid-19 cases in the country over the past few days, the government decided on...
22 Jan, 2022

Cricket hope

SIX Pakistan players named across three teams of the year announced by the ICC is a testament to an uplifting 2021...