PARIS: The Swiss Indoor tennis tournament in Basel, scheduled from Oct 24 to Nov 1, has been cancelled in the face of the coronavirus pandemic, the organisers announced on Tuesday.
“The ATP has officially approved the cancellation request from Basel, even though the tournament management had already declared in mid-June that it would be irresponsible and unrealistic to organise the event because of the medical, social and economic uncertainty linked to the situation,” the organisers said in a statement.
The organisers had said they believed a tournament with social distancing or behind closed doors was impractical. The 50th edition of the tournament, which Roger Federer has won 10 times, will take place next year from Oct 23-31.
The tennis season has been at a standstill since mid-March due to Covid-19.
The ATP has set the resumption date for mid-August in the US in Washington, with the US Open (Aug 31-Sept 13) behind closed doors and Roland Garros (Sept 27-Oct 11) in front of a reduced attendance.
Published in Dawn, July 16th, 2020