Bangladesh-Australia Test series called off

Updated 10 Apr 2020

Email

Bangladesh's Mehedi Hasan Miraz is bowled out by Australia's Mitchell Starc for 14 runs during the ICC Champions Trophy match between Australia and Bangladesh at The Oval in London on June 5, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / Glyn KIRK / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE — AFP or licensors
Bangladesh's Mehedi Hasan Miraz is bowled out by Australia's Mitchell Starc for 14 runs during the ICC Champions Trophy match between Australia and Bangladesh at The Oval in London on June 5, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / Glyn KIRK / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE — AFP or licensors

SYDNEY: Australia’s proposed Test tour of Bangladesh in June has been officially postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic and both boards will now work together to find new dates to reschedule the series in the future.

Australia Test captain Tim Paine recently said that it would not take ‘Einstein’ to conclude that Australia’s Test series against Bangladesh would not take place.

With international travel suspended in most countries to contain the spread of the flu-like virus, the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) and Cricket Australia decided it was impossible for the tour to go ahead.

The two Tests in Chittagong and Dhaka between June 11 and June 23 were part of the International Cricket Council’s newly launched World Test Championship.

“Postponing the tour is regrettable, but I would like to thank the Bangladesh Cricket Board for the open, honest and responsible discussions that led us to this mutually-agreed position,” CA Chief Executive Kevin Roberts said on Thursday.

Trying to find a new slot for the Tests will be a challenge.

“As we know, the global cricket calendar is very busy but we will do everything we can to honour our commitment to Bangladesh and will continue to work with the BCB on an agreed date,” Roberts added.

It would have been Australia’s third Test series in Bangladesh and second in three years.

The BCB said it would work to find a future window for the series.

“This [postponement] is understandably disappointing for players and fans of both sides,” BCB chief Nizamuddin Chowdhury said in a statement. The Bangladesh-Australia series is the second in the world championship to be postponed after England returned home from Sri Lanka last month at the start of the outbreak.

Published in Dawn, April 10th, 2020