RAWALPINDI: Five people were injured when a liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) cylinder exploded in a boys’ hostel near Shamsabad on Saturday, in the limits of the Sadiqabad police.

Rescue 1122 rushed the victims to the Rawal Burn Unit at Holy Family Hospital (HFH).

They were identified as Hannan Riaz, 19, Inam Allah Dita, 24, Mubashir Saleh, 22, Khurram Mustafa, 22, and Arsalan Falak Sher, 26.

The fire was controlled using fire extinguishers soon after the explosion. According toa rescue official, the explosion occurred on the second floor of the four-storey hostel.

The police have registered an FIR regarding the incident. Investigation Officer Saeed Akbar said the victims told police they had noticed a gas leak and informed the administration and hostel owner, who did not listen.

He said the owner did not carry out any repairs.

In the morning on Saturday, one of the men switched on a mobile phone charger and the cylinder exploded. Five people in the room were injured.

Published in Dawn, November 17th, 2019