KARACHI: As many as 5,313 policemen would perform security duty during Chehlum of Imam Husain on Sunday (today), police said.

A security plan has been finalised under which 18 superintendents of police and 43 deputy superintendents of police would be deployed at different points in the city for security.

Walkthrough gates have been installed at six entry points of the main Chehlum procession.

The monitoring of the procession would be done through CCTV cameras.

City police chief Ghulam Nabi Memon stated that mobile phone service would remain partially suspended on Sunday, particularly along the routes of the main procession.

Pillion riding ban

The Sindh home department has imposed a ban on pillion riding in Karachi and other parts of Sindh on the day of Chehlum, according to a notification issued by Home Secretary Abdul Kabir Kazi.

Apart from the ban on pillion riding, the provincial government has also imposed a ban on carrying/displaying arms/firearms, lathis, hatches, explosive material/crackers, political/religious slogans and posters, playing/possessing of audio, videos containing provocative speeches and initiating sectarian hatred, assembly of five or more persons (except for Chehlum, Tazia/majalis) and new processions/jalsas/majalis without permission of the relevant authority.

The home secretary explained that these measures had been taken on recommendations of the district administration and the police who had suggested that “keeping in view the prevailing law and order situation, there is a need for foolproof security arrangements.”

The official notification quoting the police said that “information has been received through reliable sources that some terrorists/anti-state elements are planning to carry out sabotage/terrorist activities during Chehlum programmes to cause unrest amongst different ethnic/religious groups and disturb the peace and tranquillity.”

Published in Dawn, October 20th, 2019