ISLAMABAD: Wintershall AG Oil Company of West Germany will explore 10,000 sq miles of offshore and onshore areas in Thatta and Karachi districts under an agreement signed by the company and the Government of Pakistan here today [June 13].

The company will explore oil in Thatta and Karachi areas under two separate licences. It will spend a minimum of Rs five million in each area in the first year. After four years of exploration, Wintershall will be given one or more prospecting licences for an initial period of three years and will be required to spend a minimum of Rs2,500 per square mile for this purpose.

During the first year of the prospecting licence, Wintershall will have to spend a minimum of Rs ten million. They were considered to be very favourable terms for Pakistan ... The Government will acquire 7.5 per cent of the working interest from the very start. It will have the option to require Wintershall to assign to the Government 32.50 per cent of the total working interests, from the date of commercial discovery, which will give the Government 40 per cent interest in oil production. — Agency

Published in Dawn, June 14th, 2019


Back to governance

Back to governance

While PDM has continued efforts to mount political pressure, it has been unable to force a crisis to challenge the PTI government.
Inequality virus
25 Jan 2021

Inequality virus

An Oxfam report calls for radical changes to the economic system.


Updated 25 Jan 2021

Where the buck stops

The rights to due process and security of person are accorded to every individual in this country.
25 Jan 2021

PPP’s plan?

THE PDM faces a fresh crisis as the PPP takes a conspicuously soft position on the long march. While the PDM talks ...
25 Jan 2021

Forward guidance

THE State Bank has taken the unusual step of issuing a forward guidance in its latest monetary policy statement to...
Updated 24 Jan 2021

Delayed olive branch

THE PTI government has finally mustered up sufficient political prudence to extend an olive branch to the opposition...
24 Jan 2021

Bureaucracy reform

WHILE the intention behind the endeavour may be lauded, the civil service reform package unveiled by the government...
24 Jan 2021

Minority rights

ON Thursday, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution to safeguard religious sites around the world,...