Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

ISLAMABAD: The report of an inquiry into dubious allotment of plots by CDA allegedly made on the direction of Minister for Capital Administration and Development Division (CADD) Dr Tariq Fazal Chaudhry last year has not seen the light of day so far.

On December 28, the minister had ordered the inquiry into the corrigendum-based allotments made by the land directorate. According to a notification issued by CADD, the inquiry was to be completed in 10 days.

However, despite the passage of 138 days, the investigation could not be completed and now the government is going to complete its tenure.

Ordered by CADD minister on Dec 28, the inquiry was to be completed in 10 days

“The inquiry is still under process and I think the inquiry officer, who is an additional secretary, is facing some health issue,” CADD’s spokesman Attiqur Rehman told Dawn. He said the inquiry had nothing to do with the tenure of the minister as it was being conducted by the ministry. “The government is going to complete its tenure but CADD will keep on working,” he said.

The inquiry committee was tasked with looking into the allotment of plots in violation of rules after a ban on allotments was lifted.

Mayor Sheikh Anser Aziz, who was acting as the CDA chairman, had suspended Director Land Irfanullah Khan and his deputy Rana Farhan for alleged corrigendum-based allotments of over 100 plots from August to December 2017.

The mayor had also announced to cancel all the corrigendum-based allotments. However, sources said before issuing the notification Mr Aziz had to leave the CDA office on a court order.

A press release issued on December 28 by CADD quoted the minister as saying: “Earlier, on receipt of complaints from public, I imposed a ban on allotment of plots on 16-05-2016. After prolonged demands and protest of affectees against this ban, the same was lifted on 12-05-2017. However, I personally observed that affectees have not been benefited at all, therefore, an inquiry needs to be carried out.”

During the tenure of director Irfanullah Khan, the land directorate in a balloting held in August 2017 allotted plots to a number of people in I-11 and I-12 without following any policy.

Six plots in the F-11/4 sub-sector were also transferred to F-11/1 and F-11/2. The price of a plot in F-11/4 is around Rs7 million while a similar size plot in F-11/1 and 2 is worth Rs25m.

In addition, over 100 plots were allotted through corrigendum - a method through which plots are shifted from one site to another due to any issue related to the physical possession of the plot or its allotment letter - allegedly to benefit selected individuals.

Last year, the CDA chief had imposed a ban on the allotment of plots to people whose land had been acquired by the CDA.

“The delay in completion of the inquiry has raised several questions. If the officers are not guilty, they should be given a clean chit and if they are found involved in corrupt practices, strict disciplinary action should be taken against them. But sitting on the inquiry report is unjustified,” said an official of CADD.

Recently, Member Estate Khushal Khan told Dawn that a revised standard operating procedure was being prepared before resuming the allotment of plots to the affectees.

“We are trying to make the process of allotments more transparent. We will place the revised SOP before the CDA board for approval and then start allotment of the plots,” he said.

Published in Dawn, May 19th, 2018