Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience


Four militants surrender in Hub

Updated March 09, 2018


KHUZDAR: Four militants, including a commander of the banned Baloch Republican Army, have laid down their arms and announced that they have abandoned armed struggle against the state and would join mainstream.

They laid down their arms at a ceremony in Hub on Thursday. Balochistan Minister for Information Technology and Environment Prince Ahmed Ali and Major Zia of the Frontier Corps (FC) welcomed the militants’ decision to surrender.

“While sitting in Europe, the so-called Baloch leaders can’t lure our youth (to militancy) any more,” said Prince Ali and Major Zia while addressing the ceremony. “The provincial government is encouraging militants who are willing to surrender and accept the writ of the state.”

They said the Baloch youths fighting on mountains had been given nothing by their leaders and they had now realised that they were being used.

Compensation cheques were distributed among the surrendering militants.

“We have been working on bringing Khan of Kalat Mir Suleman Dawood back to Pakistan. Efforts are underway to persuade him to play his key role in the development of Balochistan.” Prince Ali said while talking to the media on the sidelines of the ceremony.

“A Balochi Jirga which had sent the Khan of Kalat abroad will be convened again soon to call him back,” he said.

Published in Dawn, March 9th, 2018