ISLAMABAD: The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has decided to challenge in the court the Balochistan government’s decision of declaring the residence of Mir Khalid Langove, a former adviser to the Balochistan chief minister, as sub-jail.
Mr Langove is among prime suspects, including former finance secretary of Balochistan Mushtaq Raisani, in a mega corruption case.
NAB Chairman retired Justice Javed Iqbal on Monday directed the bureau’s officials to filed an application in the Balochistan High Court against the provincial government’s decision.
“The Balochistan NAB has prepared a legal application to challenge the administrative orders of the provincial government,” said an official statement issued by the NAB headquarters.
The NAB chief was of the view that Mr Langove was allegedly involved in a mega corruption scam and the provincial government was giving him unnecessary facilities.
“The decision is creating a hindrance in way of free and transparent accountability and, therefore, the facility should be withdrawn immediately,” the NAB chief said.
Mr Langove’s name had already been put on the Exit Control List after NAB arrested him last year. His arrest was made after his failure to appear before NAB investigators even after the bureau had served three summonses on him.
Mr Langove has been accused of making assets beyond his known sources of income. He was put under investigation after the arrest of Mushtaq Raisani, who had disclosed his involvement in the corruption case.
After the arrest of Mr Raisani on May 5 last year, NAB officials raided his house and found currency notes worth Rs650 million and some valuable items. In other raid, an amount of Rs5.7m and some documents were found.
Contractor Shohail Majeed Shah, facilitator Asad Shah, XEN of Kalat Tariq Ali and Khaliqabad Municipal Committee’s accountant Nadeem Iqbal were also arrested by NAB in the same case.
Published in Dawn, November 14th, 2017