At least one person was killed when an explosion hit the city of Mazar-e-Sharif in Balkh province of Afghanistan on Thursday, TOLO News reported.
According to TOLO News, an eyewitness said the target was a former militant commander who was passing through the area.
Balkh police said at least one person was killed in the blast.
According TOLO News, an eyewitness said that two people were wounded in the incident.
Afghan forces have struggled to combat a resurgent Taliban since the United States (US) and NATO forces formally concluded their combat mission at the end of 2014.
Previous terror attacks
At least 43 Afghan soldiers were killed in a Taliban-claimed suicide attack on a military base in Kandahar last month.
It was the third suicide and gun attack on a security installation this week and takes the total death toll to more than 120, including soldiers, police and civilians.
In each assault the Taliban used a Humvee vehicle as a bomb to blast their way into their targets.
Two attacks in southeast Afghanistan killed 80 people and wounded nearly 300 in the bloodiest day in the war-torn country in almost five months.
The deadliest of assaults was on a police compound in the city of Gardez in Paktia province where Taliban militants disguised as police detonated three explosive-packed vehicles ─ including a truck and a Humvee ─ that cleared the way for 11 gunmen to enter.
At least 60 people, including Paktia police chief Toryalai Abdyani and civilians waiting to collect documents, were killed in the blasts and ensuing battle that lasted around five hours, health officials said, with more than 230 wounded.
In the second attack in the neighbouring province of Ghazni, some 100 kilometres west of Gardez, 20 people, including 15 members of the security forces and five civilians died and 46 were wounded, officials said.