MANSEHRA: A huge fire gutted offices and residences of administration officials, judges and police officers in Pattan, the district headquarters of the newly-created Lower Kohistan district on Monday.
The fire was stated to be caused by an electricity short-circuit.
“The huge flames destroyed the government buildings, reducing all the official record to ashes,” DSP Pattan Abdul Rehman told reporters. The fire, which broke out late in the evening, engulfed offices and residences of deputy commissioner, assistant commissioner, judges and police.
Mr Rehman said that policemen, locals and fire tenders were struggling to bring down the fire.
He said though there was no loss of life reported the police would search for the bodies after the blaze was completely put out. The DSP said apparently the fire was erupted because of an electric short-circuit, but the police would further investigate the matter.
Abdul Hakeem, a local who was present on the scene, told reporters that the flames could be seen from far off areas.
Published in Dawn, May 2nd, 2017