As part of political reconciliation in Balochistan, 434 militants surrendered to the authorities on Friday evening.
The militants belonged to various banned organisations, including Baloch Republican Army (BRA), Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) and other groups. The militants were allegedly involved in attacks on government installations in Quetta, Dera Bugti, Sui and other parts of the province.
“Innocent people have been used and elements instigating them were living abroad,” said Chief Minister Balochistan Nawab Sanaullah Zehri.
“Innocent people were martyred at the behest of elements who are the slaves of RAW and no compromise would be made over the writ of the government,” added the chief minister.
Commander Southern Command Lieutenant General Amir Riaz on the occasion said that Pakistan cannot be weakened.
“Anyone laying down their arms would be welcomed,” added Riaz.
“We were deceived,” said Sher Mohammad, a key commander of the proscribed BLA, while Dur Khan Baloch, another key commander, said they will “no longer fight for the Indians”.
A senior provincial official said so far over 1500 militants have surrendered.
“More Ferraris would surrender before the authorities in the days to come, said Balochistan government spokesperson Anwarul Haq Kakar.
The surrender ceremony was attended by senior military and civilians leaders.
The largest province of the country by area, is home to a low-level insurgency by ethnic Baloch separatists. Al Qaeda-linked militants also operate in the region.
The province shares borders with Afghanistan and Iran.