Thousands flee deadly violence in Assam

Published August 22, 2014
The initial violence started on Aug 12 when the Nagaland villagers allegedly attacked the Assamese who retaliated, with clashes leaving some 12 people dead, an Assamese students’ group said. — Photo by AFP
The initial violence started on Aug 12 when the Nagaland villagers allegedly attacked the Assamese who retaliated, with clashes leaving some 12 people dead, an Assamese students’ group said. — Photo by AFP

GUWAHATI: About 10,000 people have fled their homes in northeast India as violence surged over a border dispute that has left some 15 people dead, officials said on Thursday.

Residents of remote Assam have sought shelter in makeshift camps set up by the state government after gunmen from neighbouring Nagaland launched attacks from across the border, a top official said.

“About 10,000 people were rendered homeless after unidentified gunmen from the Nagaland side attacked Assam villagers and set ablaze hundreds of houses forcing them to flee,” Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi told reporters in Assam’s main city of Gauhati.

Gogoi held crisis talks with his Nagaland counterpart and national junior home minister Kiren Rijiju on Thursday over the violence which erupted between the villagers earlier this month. Clashes have erupted periodically between residents of villages straddling the two states over grabbing land along the border, since the creation of Nagaland in the 1960s.

Police fired on Wednesday on hundreds of angry protesters demonstrating in Assam’s Golaghat district against perceived government inaction over the violence, leaving three people dead. “A violent mob numbering about 4,000 armed with crude implements were on a rampage,” Assam police chief Khagen Sharma said.

“To control we first resorted to baton charge, tear gas shelling, and finally opened fire in which three people were killed,” he told reporters, adding that about a dozen others were injured.

The initial violence started on Aug 12 when the Nagaland villagers allegedly attacked the Assamese who retaliated, with clashes leaving some 12 people dead, an Assamese students’ group said.

“We have confirmed reports of 12 deaths so far in the Aug 12 incident and have their names and other details although the government is putting the death toll at nine,” Monowar Hussain, leader of the All Assam Students’ Union, said.

Published in Dawn, August 22nd, 2014

Opinion

Editorial

Rebuilding a dream
Updated 14 Aug, 2024

Rebuilding a dream

"True" independence — and not in the sense of a political slogan — can only be achieved when Pakistan’s children are assured of a better tomorrow.
A general’s arrest
14 Aug, 2024

A general’s arrest

A PAKISTAN Army general who had once seemed all-powerful has been arrested by his own institution for a list of...
No exceptions
14 Aug, 2024

No exceptions

CAREER civil services officer Rashid Mahmood Langrial, who recently became the ninth person to be appointed head of...
School massacre in Gaza
Updated 13 Aug, 2024

School massacre in Gaza

Can Tel Aviv’s assertions that it is ready to discuss a ceasefire really be taken seriously in the aftermath of such bloodbaths?
Bottomless pit
13 Aug, 2024

Bottomless pit

AT a time when the masses are struggling to put two decent meals on the table, the scale of fiscal malfeasance and...
Countering hate in UK
13 Aug, 2024

Countering hate in UK

THE anti-racism counter-protests witnessed across the UK last week brought a moment of relief to the country....