Balochistan to prevent arrival of IDPs

Email

Chief Minister Dr Malik Baloch. — File photo
Chief Minister Dr Malik Baloch. — File photo

QUETTA: The Balochistan government has deployed more Frontier Corps troops in the area connecting the province with South Waziristan to check the influx of people fleeing North Waziristan where the military has launched an operation against militants.

A meeting held here on Wednesday and presided over by Chief Minister Dr Malik Baloch discussed the possibility of terrorist attacks in the province and measures to cope with the threat.

It revised a security plan for the provincial capital and other towns in the province.

Chief Secretary Babar Yaqoob Fateh Mohammad briefed the meeting on security measures adopted so far. He said security had been beefed up at all airports in the province, governor’s and chief minister’s houses, Balochistan Assembly, High Court, Civil Secretariat, railways stations and vital installations.

“Heavy contingents of security forces have been deployed at all important offices and buildings,” he said.

The meeting decided to disallow parking of vehicles, including those of ministers and MPAs, on the premises of the Balochistan Assembly. Alternative arrangements have been be made for parking.

The entry of authorised vehicles to the Civil Secretariat and parking of vehicles in Red Zone was banned.

The meeting also decided that security guards hired by ministers and MPAs must don their uniform, instead of wearing civilian clothes while on duty, and get themselves registered with the home department.

People coming to the Chief Minister Secretariat with ministers, advisers and MPAs will have to prove their identity.

The meeting was attended by Balochistan Assembly Speaker Mir Jan Mohammad Jamali, Senior Minister Sardar Sanaullah Zehri, Information Minister Abdul Rahim Ziaratwal, Home Secretary Akbar Hussain and IG Mohammad Amlesh.

Published in Dawn, June 19th, 2014