KARACHI: The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Thursday in a short order said that the name of former military ruler Pervez Musharraf be removed from the exit control list (ECL) after 15 days.
The ruling was issued by a two-judge bench of the SHC comprising Justice Mohammad Ali Mazhar and Justice Shahnawaz following the hearing of Musharraf's request for the removal of his name from the ECL.
The bench stated that parties opposing the ruling could approach the Supreme Court during the next 15 days, adding that Musharraf cannot leave the country during that period.
While talking to media representatives, Musharraf’s counsel Barrister Farogh Nasim said the federal government’s permission was not a requisite for Musharraf before travelling abroad.
Nasim said that the government could strike off Musharraf’s name from the ECL within 15 days, and within the said time limit the court’s ruling would be enforced.
The attorney further said that the former president would certainly return to Pakistan in case he went abroad, adding he would also get his name cleared from allegations pressed against him.
Nasim said that the right to a clean trial should not be flouted.
Earlier on May 29, the court had reserved its ruling on Musharraf's plea after his counsel Barrister Farogh Naseem and Attorney General Pakistan Salman Aslam Butt concluded their arguments.