Another quake jolts shattered Balochistan district, kills 15

Published September 28, 2013
The US Geological Survey said the epicentre of the earthquake was located 96 kilometres northeast of Balochistan's Awaran district, already devastated from a massive quake earlier in the week. — Photo: USGS
The US Geological Survey said the epicentre of the earthquake was located 96 kilometres northeast of Balochistan's Awaran district, already devastated from a massive quake earlier in the week. — Photo: USGS

QUETTA: At least 15 people were killed Saturday when a powerful 6.8-magnitude earthquake struck Balochistan in a region already devastated by a massive quake earlier this week, officials said.

Khan Wasey, a spokesman for the Frontier Corps paramilitary force, confirmed the deaths. He said at least 50 people were injured in Nok Jo village and Mashkay area of Awaran district.

The most recent deaths bring the total toll from the two quakes to 374 and the total number of people injured has risen to 825.

According to the US Geological Survery, the epicentre of the quake was recorded at 96 kilometres northeast of Balochistan's Awaran district and 14 kilometres deep.

The local meteorological office recorded the intensity of the earthquake at 7.2 on the Richter scale and said the epicentre of the quake was 150 kilometres southwest of Khuzdar.

Rasheed Baloch, deputy commissioner in Awaran district, earlier said more than sixty mud-walled houses collapsed when the earthquake struck the village. He said said four bodies from the quake earlier in the week were also retrieved from the rubble.

Baloch said a rescue operation was underway in the district and its surrounding areas to retrieve the bodies and shift the injured to hospitals. “Poor communication system is a major hindrance in the way of relief operation,” he said.

Strong tremors were felt in different parts of the province.

People panicked and came out of their homes in Quetta, the provincial capital. “I was sitting in my office when the earthquake struck,” said Nazeer Ahmed, a provincial government official in Quetta.

The Balochistan Assembly session was underway when the earthquake struck. Television footage showed ministers and members of the assembly walking out of the session due to the tremors as the session was temporarily suspended.

Aftershocks were felt in Kech, Khuzdar, Kalat and other towns of the province. The tremors were also felt as far away as Naushero Feroz, Shikarpur, Karachi and Hyderabad in Sindh province.

Patients undergoing treatment at the Awaran district hospital also came out of hospital wards after the tremors. “More than one hundred injured are now outside Awaran hospital,” Muhammad Tariq, a local journalist said.

Earlier on Friday, the death toll from a 7.7-magnitude earthquake which jolted the same area earlier on Tuesday rose to 359 with over 600 people injured. The September 24 quake had struck Balochistan’s Awaran and Kech districts and relief work was still underway in the area.

Opinion

Editorial

Dark days
Updated 26 May, 2022

Dark days

The PTI, on its part, does not seem to have been prepared to face such a large deployment of state machinery.
26 May, 2022

No room for dissent

WHILE political turmoil roils the land, a number of incidents over the past few days have demonstrated that though...
26 May, 2022

Harassing passengers

REPORTS of the confiscation of personal items from passengers’ private luggage by customs officials at Karachi’s...
Back to bedlam
Updated 25 May, 2022

Back to bedlam

FEAR tactics have never worked in the past, and most likely will not this time either. The government’s ...
25 May, 2022

Balochistan blaze

THE forest fire on the Koh-i-Sulaiman range in Balochistan’s Shirani area is among a series of blazes to have...
25 May, 2022

Unequal citizens

INDIFFERENCE would have been bad enough, but the state’s attitude towards non-Muslims falls squarely in the...